Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

The only rooms in our house with carpet are the bedrooms but the master bedroom is where I have a problem with cats puking from time to time with hair balls and if the cats (2) get into the dog food. We have good quality carpet which cleans up fairly well with Resolve but after 4 years I need something better.

Was thinking about one of those smallish spot carpet cleaners. It might be more convenient and if I could grab it without much hassle I'd be more inclined to use it. Then I wondered if I should just go ahead and get the standard size carpet cleaner. Would it be convenient to use it just for spot cleaning? Would it require a full tank to work properly. I doubt we would be cleaning the other carpets since they don't get much wear and the house is only 4 years old.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Would especially like to hear from other pet owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I'd go full size-
They do both; as opposed to a spot cleaner that only does spots.

After awhile you'll have spotted carpet- so occasionally it's good to do a full clean- not happenin' with a spot cleaner.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Spray bottle with water and maybe just a trace of carpet cleaner - spray and use a vacuum at the same time.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I'd go with a spot cleaner with the amount of carpet you have. Just rent a carpet cleaner from the store once every year or two to do all of the carpet. The spot cleaner will leave a nice clean circle, so if you don't like clean spots on your carpet, get a regular cleaner. The spots do eventually blend in (i.e., get dirty). We have both since we're about all carpet, but our big one stopped working and we haven't replaced it yet.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Better to rent them. We have bought a few, and after a year or so end up renting again. the bought ones break or we lose parts and they do not work as well anyway. Even the commercial ones do not work all that well. If you can find one, a true steam cleaner might work better, but it might damage your carpeting. Normal so called "steam" cleaners just use hot water and soap and then the leave 1/3 of the soap in your carpeting (soap is good food for cockroaches among other things). The best way (and really only way) to actually clean your carpeting is to remove and replace it. You can sometimes clean the surface part that is visible but it is not really clean. Kid of like washing your clothing with handiwipes.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
We have cats and have dealt with cat barf for years. We have a Hoover Steam Cleaner that uses warm water and a solvent. It works quite well.

Our 1st attempt is to let the barf dry then pick up the chunks. We then spray the stain with Folex Professional Carpet Spot Remover. The catch is to blot, not rub. We blot with paper towels. Let it sit 12-20 minutes between applications. If this fails after 3-4 tries, we go to the Hoover.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,359 times
Hi, I have problems with our 3 cats puking on the carpets too. Yes, I went out and purchased the cheapest Bissell Carpet Cleaner Machine @ Walmart. I use it all the time to clean the carpets after the Spray foam Resolve makes clean spots and the rest of the carpet looks crappy. I love how the machine cleans and makes the house smell nice. Their carpet cleaners are geared towards pet stains etc. Also they have a fiber cleaner that gets out tough stains. I would get a machine to own it will save you in the long run. Good luck!

P.S. Just curious - what food do you feed your cats? I was feeding Science Diet, they got sick, switched to Iams, they got sick, switched to Blue, they got sick. After all the HIGH cost of cat food I did the 180 and went to the cheap stuff - Fancy Feast wet food. Guess what they still get sick all 3 cats. I'm tired of spending so much money on food they just barf up. The vet told me to get the all natural food and they still get sick. What to do? Reply if you can.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
I have both and I find that I rarely use the SpotBot. It does leave circles of clean if your carpet is very dirty, and the tank in miniscule. You will pass yourself going back and forth filling the tank solution and emptying the dirty water a LOT. I prefer my full size Hoover - I have the MaxExtract Dual V, but then I do have more carpet in our house than you do, and more cats (22), and I have carpeted stairs to the basement. I do keep all of the bedroom doors shut though, because ....well, you can only imagine what they would do in there. With the full size machine - this model keeps the cleaning solution separate from the water and it mixes it when you clean (or you can use the rinse only setting which does not apply any soap), if I am done cleaning I always empty and rinse out the dirty water container, and I can just leave the clean water (and soap) containers alone. Just wipe the outside down, clean out any hair from the nozzle, rinse the brushes, and store it. It does a wonderful job and also has attachments for upholstery and a self propelled scrubber that is handy for stubborn stains. I think I paid under $100 for the SpotBot (Bissell) and around $200 or a little higher for the Hoover. Also, for stubborn stains, and if you just need spots treated, try Folex. It is great for stains - I buy it in my area at either Lowe's or Home Depot (both stock it) and it runs about $15 gallon. Great stuff!!!!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Three D's View Post
Hi, I have problems with our 3 cats puking on the carpets too. Yes, I went out and purchased the cheapest Bissell Carpet Cleaner Machine @ Walmart. I use it all the time to clean the carpets after the Spray foam Resolve makes clean spots and the rest of the carpet looks crappy. I love how the machine cleans and makes the house smell nice. Their carpet cleaners are geared towards pet stains etc. Also they have a fiber cleaner that gets out tough stains. I would get a machine to own it will save you in the long run. Good luck!

P.S. Just curious - what food do you feed your cats? I was feeding Science Diet, they got sick, switched to Iams, they got sick, switched to Blue, they got sick. After all the HIGH cost of cat food I did the 180 and went to the cheap stuff - Fancy Feast wet food. Guess what they still get sick all 3 cats. I'm tired of spending so much money on food they just barf up. The vet told me to get the all natural food and they still get sick. What to do? Reply if you can.
Never had a cat that did not barf ocassionally. I think it is the hair ball think even though not always a hair ball. We have two. One barfs more then the other. I know of no way to prevent them from barfing.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Woolite brand, Oxy Deep Clean, comes in a silver plastic spray bottle with blue spray cap .... it is non aerosol

Works miracles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House