Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times

Advertisements

They could be widening the road, sure. But it looks to me they could simply be marking where they need to pave a driveway ramp of sorts in conjunction with a simpler repaving operation. In other words, putting a couple inches of top coat on that road would make the driveway access unacceptable without moderating the height a bit, so they need to pave these driveway entrances too.

Call the county road department and find out which they're doing. That's the only way to know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Normally the white line is the new edge of pavement. If it is a repave, they will tear everything out possibly down as much as 10" depending on the road base. After the remove your driveway, they will put in a temporary gravel ramp so you can access the road. The road will likely be closed to you for short periods a couple of times, but not for long. You will get notice. If you find out who is doing the work, they may offer you a very good price on repaving your driveway while they are there, if you need it.

When the road opens it will be nice a smooth and all the local teenagers will come out and play boy racer for a few weeks until the neighbors complain and the police start turning out in droves.

Yes, they can do pretty much anything in the easement they want to, They do not need your permission. The easement is your property only to the extent that you get to maintain it and pay taxes on it.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Normally the white line is the new edge of pavement. If it is a repave, they will tear everything out possibly down as much as 10" depending on the road base. After the remove your driveway, they will put in a temporary gravel ramp so you can access the road. The road will likely be closed to you for short periods a couple of times, but not for long. You will get notice. If you find out who is doing the work, they may offer you a very good price on repaving your driveway while they are there, if you need it.
That's true about shaving down the old pavement some, depending upon how thick it is, but if they were going to actually widen the road like that it seems to me they would do a lot of other things first before drawing such a line across a driveway. Of course maybe some of that work is already happening and the OP didn't mention it. I'm thinking in terms of marking all along the road where there are NOT driveways, clearing and grading that area, etc. The white line would still be the edge of pavement even if it's just a driveway cut. Of course it's not clear from the pic; maybe there is in fact suitable area on the shoulder that could simply be paved without clearing and grading and new base. I was kind of assuming there is not though. Doesn't look like that sort of road to me.

Another possibility, now that I think of it, is that they're only going to cut and patch there. Look how the center of the road is okay or at least not too bad and the edge is crumbling. Maybe they're going to do a stop-gap patch job and wait a couple years on the repave. If it's in PA, that's definitely what they're doing. (Although I'm guessing it's not, because we sure don't use the term "arterial", LOL.) If you look at the pic though it appears some patching was done in that spot in the past, although that could have been for some other reason like utility issue I guess.

Good point about paving driveway if you need it. The people who do roads are usually good reputable asphalt contractors and definitely there's an economy of scale with the road that you'd never get if it's only your drive. This will not apply if they're only patching though. Usually the road department does that themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, they can do pretty much anything in the easement they want to, They do not need your permission. The easement is your property only to the extent that you get to maintain it and pay taxes on it.
Tru dat.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I found same line in neighbor's private street, east of us, with arrows pointing into the street, and number 10 next to them.

Though it may be a strange concern, reason I am a bit freaking is cuz they already trimmed a lot of properties around here, while widening the roads. They had to expand roads somehow, so they cut people's acreage, and moved fences in. Entire main arterial here in our town was re done this way. I am not sure how it works, did they pay them back for land taken away, or else. But they widen anything they can here.
My guess is that the fences were put to the edge of the road and included the right of way. All the city/county is doing is utilizing more of the right of way. For instance, my property line is about 10' away from the road. At any point, the city could decide to widen the road and/or add sidewalks, and I'd lose the space of which my boat trailer over hangs.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 PM

524 posts, read 843,371 times
the right of eminent domain

Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That's true about shaving down the old pavement some, depending upon how thick it is, but if they were going to actually widen the road like that it seems to me they would do a lot of other things first before drawing such a line across a driveway.
I agree. If they were going to widen there would be flags etc. You usually know well in advance when something like that happens.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Thank you all. Actually, very valuable posts. ALL streets and driveways along this road have same lines and digits 10, pointing outward towards the arterial or inward towards the street/driveway.
No, our fence is right on property stakes.
Yes, easement is standard 10 feet attended once a year by county strip of dirt.
No, no workers or works done anywhere. They had rubber hoses across this street some time ago, just to count traffic. That's usual sign of them interested in some sort of changes.
I'd love to have speed bumps put in. It's virtually perfectly straight 1.4 mile road, out in woods, indeed, roaring speedsters are quite common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House