Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,202 times

Advertisements

We have a quote for $3000 to install sewer line cleanouts and that includes permit. The line is 40 years old and is a combination of cast iron (under the house) and clay, according to the technician who did a camera inspection today.
The line has some roots, which is pretty common in our neighborhood. I know most of my neighbors just do regular snaking of the line, but then I also know about quite a few who had to replace the lines for a lot of money. The neighborhood is on the expansive soils, and combined with age of the lines, I guess, the moving and shifting clay is pretty hard on them.
Anyway, some of the neighbors have sewer lines cleanouts, which basically are "openings" into the line just outside of the house. They help with regular line maintenance, since a bigger diameter snake can be inserted into the line and they don't have to put the equipment inside. (Or so they tell me).
Most of the cost of the install is hand dig of a 8 foot deep hole. I wish I could somehow minimize the cost, but I asked the company if we could at least dig the hole ourselves (I have a strong and able 15 year old son who doesn't charge a dime as long as I feed him ), but they told me they need to do it themselves if the work is to be in compliance with city permit.
What are the cons if I find someone to do this without a permit? I will have to sell this house one day, of course, and would rather have all the paperwork in a top shape, but if this means a thousand dollars difference in the price of work, I need to weigh different options, I guess. Also, they tell me that the line itself is in a decent shape and doesn't need replacement. However, I'm thinking if it will, eventually, need to be replaced, what's the point in spending $3000 for clean outs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times
How are you going to feel if that 8' deep hole collapses on someone (your son for example) working in it to save you a few bucks?

Last edited by rrtechno; 05-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: clarification of intended meaning

Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
The line is 40 years old and is a combination of cast iron (under the house) and clay
...some of the neighbors have sewer lines cleanouts
Have you had any problems with back ups or poor draining?

Quote:
they tell me that the line itself is in a decent shape and doesn't need replacement (yet).
...if it will eventually need to be replaced what's the point in spending $3000 for clean outs?

Quote:
We have a quote for $3000 to install sewer line cleanouts and that includes permit.
but they told me they need to do it themselves if the work is to be in compliance with city permit.
What are the cons if I find someone to do this without a permit?
Many and varied... if/when you're found out.
Which still assumes the work was done correctly.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

No, we haven't any problems yet, but we only bought this house less than 1 year ago.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
The main problem if you do it without permit (illegally) is that city inspectors may have you dig it all up for inspection and you'll have to get a permit for that.
If you sell in the future and the new buyers have a problem with the line and/or find out you did not get a permit then you could be in serious legal trouble.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
If it's 8' down there's shoring requirements to meet OSHA safety standards. It would be better to let them be liable. I wouldn't go in unless I was replacing the entire line. There should be a cleanout outside the home somewhere.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The main problem if you do it without permit (illegally) is that city inspectors may have you dig it all up for inspection and you'll have to get a permit for that.
If you sell in the future and the new buyers have a problem with the line and/or find out you did not get a permit then you could be in serious legal trouble.
Thanks, that's the info I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
How are you going to feel if that 8' deep hole collapses on someone (your son for example) working in it to save you a few bucks?
I appreciate answers that are to the point, and I guess I got one. I have no idea how to feel if it's collapsing or not.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
No, we haven't any problems yet, but we only bought this house less than 1 year ago.
Check with your neighbors (houses of similar vintage) for how many have new waste pipes.

All houses should have at least one clean-out.
Inside... at the point where the several waste lines all come together then through the wall.
Outside... at some point between that inside point and street.

LINK to some pictures

Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
If it's 8' down there's shoring requirements to meet OSHA safety standards. It would be better to let them be liable. I wouldn't go in unless I was replacing the entire line. There should be a cleanout outside the home somewhere.
Thanks, MrWillys. It has to be at least 8' deep since it's going under the basement, and it has it is at least 8' deep. They suggest to install the clean outs right where the cast iron pipe transitions to the clay pipe.
I'm not sure what you mean by "There should be a cleanout outside the home somewhere", are you saying there is an access point into the pipe outside the house?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
My neighborhood got together with the city and each homeowner is being charged $3,000 to replace the lateral with seamless pipe...

Some are down 14' or more and some are over 165' long.

The city is replacing the mains and since the crews are already working on the hard part, the cost is significantly less to replace the laterals.

The main in front of my home is 29' deep!!!

$4,000 sounds like a lot for a clean out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House