Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 PM

21 posts, read 28,284 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in a process of planning a minor bathroom remodeling before selling the house (painting, changing light fixture and other hardware, etc.), and I have noticed a problem with my ceiling (see pictures attached). I am going to be hiring someone to do all the work, but I would like to know what's involved in fixing the ceiling? Does it need to be completely redone and repainted? Or can it be just patched?

I would appreciate your opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom ceiling problems-20161218_172234_resized.jpg   Bathroom ceiling problems-20161218_172133_resized.jpg   Bathroom ceiling problems-20161218_172635_resized.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:13 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,202 times
Good afternoon !! Hard to say what you want. If you need to remove the cause of this, it is necessary to dismantle the ceiling if there is no other access to the inside overlap. If you need to remove only these spots, you can do it very easily. You do not need to do repair the ceiling completely.but you have to make a painting. Although if you cann't tinted paint the exact color of your ceiling (or you have an old paint) that repairs will take up to 1 hour.
I do not see any reason to pay for this job because you can do it themselves, if the free time

Last edited by GreyKarast; 01-04-2017 at 03:22 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 04:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I'm assuming this home isn't on a concrete slab? It looks like the floor has settled over the years allowing the wall to lower a bit, which is why it has pulled away from the ceiling. It probably needs a jack underneath (if there's a crawlspace or basement) to give it some support and keep it from getting worse. You can install crown molding to cover the cosmetic flaws, that's what I did in a similar situation.

Pic #3 looks like a roof leak at some point, or excessive bathroom humidity. It'll probably flake off, and you may be able to use some of the texture in a can to spot fix it. Repaint it all with ceiling paint, but be prepared because more texture could peel off.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
There is nothing in the picture to really allow any "diagnosis" of floor / foundation settling.

There seems to be some water damage near the vent fan.

The drywall tape at the wall / ceiling junction is starting to fail, probably because to much "texture paint" was slopped over everything.

The "texture paint" may be hiding a messy / cracked ceiling. It makes sense to address any problems like this with new drywall.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:58 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
You have some drywall tape that has come loose. There also looks like a small leak and small amount of damage. Try to get above this area and determine what the source of the moisture is - and correct it. Then its pretty simple to just re-texture the ceiling, and paint.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:09 PM

Thank you, everyone! This house has a main and second floor, and a basement, and the ceiling issue is in a bathroom on the second floor. There is attic above it. Don't think there are foundation issues, and if there are, I am not going to fix them. I could do crown molding, but I think it would look weird if there is no crown molding anywhere in the house besides one bathroom... I guess I will need new drywall tape, and some paint, and somehow patch the popcorn in that spot next to the fan?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:30 PM

on the spots you need to remove part of the filler, which is already falling off. spread a layer of primer and put in this place decorative fillers.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:32 PM

Another option is the solution of the whole problem is the suspended (soft stretch) ceiling.
for that you need at the right level on the perimeter secure the baguette on the baguette pull the canvas ceiling, and then heat it with gas, and your ceiling is perfect.

he has only pluses than minuses. it is durable, waterproof, beautiful, does not require painting. canvas can choose any color, though the mirror
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom ceiling problems-i-10-.jpg   Bathroom ceiling problems-i-9-.jpg   Bathroom ceiling problems-i-3-.jpg   Bathroom ceiling problems-i-8-.jpg   Bathroom ceiling problems-i-4-.jpg  

Bathroom ceiling problems-i-6-.jpg   Bathroom ceiling problems-i-5-.jpg  

Last edited by GreyKarast; 01-04-2017 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 04:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
In the first pic, is there a gap there where you can stick something small above the wall? If so, it's probably like I said and the wall has lowered over time. It doesn't mean there's a foundation issue, just that the 2x8 joists have sagged a bit.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Another option is the solution of the whole problem is the suspended (soft stretch) ceiling.
for that you need at the right level on the perimeter secure the baguette on the baguette pull the canvas ceiling, and then heat it with gas, and your ceiling is perfect.

he has only pluses than minuses. it is durable, waterproof, beautiful, does not require painting. canvas can choose any color, though the mirror
Never heard of stretch ceiling before, thank you, this sounds like a cool idea for my next house, but not this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House