Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,806 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I'll cut down on towel use to see if it helps

Weird issue imo. Today for instance, humidity in the house was about 47, however all day it was 60 or more in the bathroom, with the door open. And I hadn't taken a shower since 3 yesterday. Maybe there isn't some weird problem, just seems odd to me.

Generally I'd like to keep the door closed since one of my cats likes to destroy the toilet paper but I can easily just keep it off the roll holder and hide it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Weird issue imo. Today for instance, humidity in the house was about 47, however all day it was 60 or more in the bathroom, with the door open. And I hadn't taken a shower since 3 yesterday. Maybe there isn't some weird problem, just seems odd to me.

Generally I'd like to keep the door closed since one of my cats likes to destroy the toilet paper but I can easily just keep it off the roll holder and hide it.
That is rather unusual. We can't see your bath/shower area so we are just trying to give you sound advice. I'm a retired Insurance Damage Repair Contractor who specialized in Mold Remediation. I had a probe that would detect the moisture in wood and drywall.

You might have a problem with moisture getting in from the outside, or a pin leek somewhere(old solder giving way). Try renting a dehumidifier from a equipment rental store. The commercial versions will dry the bath out in 24 hours. Then don't use it and see if the humidity returns, and if you get readings like you stated above. If so call a IDRC and have them send someone out to look it over. Insurance will normally pay for any repair, but mold is touch and go.

Keep us posted, OK?
greg

Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,499,450 times
Quote:

If by "destroy" you happen to mean unroll it all from the roll, hang it the other way on the roller so it doesn't unroll it when they go after it.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Looks like before I go further, I need to invest in some accurate hygrometers. The three I have are all different by more than a few %.

One things certain though, I hate summer. Left the house this morning, avg humidity was 50% or so. Get back, after leaving a couple windows open for the cats and its over 70% but 68 degrees. Ugh. Its more humid than my basement.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
Quote:
Looks like before I go further, I need to invest in some accurate hygrometers. The three I have are all different by more than a few %.

One things certain though, I hate summer. Left the house this morning, avg humidity was 50% or so. Get back, after leaving a couple windows open for the cats and its over 70% but 68 degrees. Ugh. Its more humid than my basement.
What's the temp / RH outside?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
What's the temp / RH outside?
About 78 with 55-60% humidity. Thoug h I'm not sure how the humidity was earlier in the day. I got back at about 5.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,547 times
So you can look at the floor of the bath from the basement below and there is no signs of leaks? That's good.
10 % percent may be attributed to the fact that you have a toilet tank that holds water: that water is evaporating and causes condensation, a toilet bowl with a water spot that is evaporating, a trap in the sink that is evaporating, and if you have a tub or shower, that trap is evaporating. Do you live in a low humidity region? In any case, it makes sense that everyone's bath is more humid than other rooms without plumbing fixtures.
I don't think you have to stop using towels: they don't have to be hung in that bath!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
INstead of towels, dry yourself off with a shop vac. Then vacuum the floor walls and shower curtain. It you suck up all the moisture and it is still damp in there after 24 hours, maybe you have a leak.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:05 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
You can try closing the toilet lid, and putting a bowl/cup over the drains and see if the humidity level is at least similar to what's outside (if the windows are kept open). Right now, I don't see a cause for much concern.

I used to live in an apt where I know there's leaks inside the wall. There is a spot on the floor where the grout keeps turning brown and expands. This is after the LL had someone take out a ~ 15 inch section of copper pipe that had developed a pinhole leak right in the middle (not where the solder is). I'd spray that spot once in a while with a bleach solution. The brown color will turn white for a few days, then the spot returns and grows. Since I knew I was moving out, I just keep spraying once in awhile rather than deal with the LL and possibly have my only bathroom torn apart.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Well, Im investing in a dehumidifier for my living space. These past few days remind me of what will probably be a regular occurrence soon when summer hits. Now Ill just have to figure out if I can think of a way to drain it from the upstairs to the basement with out doing anything crazy. Probably come up with something to go through the wall and down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House