U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,783 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum and would like to get some expert advice. If I do not explain things accurately, please forgive me. I just recently had my drain field replaced. My drain field is the Bed type drain field. In my contract, the contractor stated that he would put Fiber Fabric on top of the stone before covering up with dirt. Instead of using the Fiber Fabric, which he called out in the contract, the contractor used Hay instead.

My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of both the Hay and the Fiber Fabric? How long does the Hay last? How long does the Fiber Fabric last. Which one is better?

Thank You in advance,

Pat
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM

41,478 posts, read 55,404,601 times
You were cheated. Tell the town inspector.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM

10,426 posts, read 47,135,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcguire4 View Post
I am new to this forum and would like to get some expert advice. If I do not explain things accurately, please forgive me. I just recently had my drain field replaced. My drain field is the Bed type drain field. In my contract, the contractor stated that he would put Fiber Fabric on top of the stone before covering up with dirt. Instead of using the Fiber Fabric, which he called out in the contract, the contractor used Hay instead.

My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of both the Hay and the Fiber Fabric? How long does the Hay last? How long does the Fiber Fabric last. Which one is better?

Thank You in advance,

Pat
I never heard of fiber fabric. Must be something new since I was involved in doing this work. I suspect it's a cover over the gravel drain channels so dirt can not penetrate the gravel and clog the field.

I guess the simple answer is hay decomposes. Fiber does not. So your drain field will clog quickly. Normally the code officials look at all this before giving the go ahead to cover it.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM

41,823 posts, read 46,194,461 times
The fabric is similar to coffee filter but tougher and more transparent, presumably made of a vinyl/plastic. We put in some drain tile and used it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I guess the simple answer is hay decomposes.
Once buried stuff like that can take forever to decomposes hence the reason we have fossils. You need oxygen, moisture and the right enviroment for decomposition to take place. The ground is even colder and that will slow it down. If you made a big enough pile of fresh grass clippings and let it sit there for a year you're going to find green grass as you dig into it.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:44 PM

20,666 posts, read 61,815,817 times
Landscape fabric. Pretty common, pretty cheap. Hay will do a similar effect. Our septic field has none of that over it. I guess that if the soil was particularly silty and there was a lot of surface water I might be concerned, but I would also consider that although hay will decompose, a barrier fabric will silt and clog much faster than hay, which has many more channels and open pores.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 AM

41,917 posts, read 54,617,647 times
As said above by HC the fabric is probably landscape fabric which has tiny holes in it to allow water to penetrate and prevent weeds from rooting and clogging up something in the system. Hay will decompose and leave nothing but a rotted mess in time.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,783 times
Default Septic Drainfield Question

Thanks everyone for your response. The hay was used as a barrier between the gravel and the soil. What I am really looking for is someone who does this type of work and knows the advantages and disadvantages of both of these materials. Also how long they will last before they decay.

I do know the hay does not last very long before it decays because it has only been 6 months and the hay has already decayed.

Again, thanks for everyones responses.

Pat

Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM

18,066 posts, read 32,163,581 times
I don't know about the codes relating to septic systems on your side of the pond, but where I live a fabric is used so that it acts much like a coffee filter. The idea is to prevent fine dirt particles from clogging the gravel below and stop the draining process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House