Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM

149 posts, read 467,233 times

Advertisements

Should I go with a keyed entry knob or a bed/bath knob?

I'd rather get a bed/bath knob, so I won't draw any attention that I changed knobs. But I'm concerned that if I use a "pick" to unlock my door everyday, I will wear out my lock...like my current knob. I'm also thinking of trapped issues, if there's an emergency won't it be easier for soneone to get into my room that way?

On the other hand, wouldn't it be more appropriate to just install a keyed entry knob? Are those easy to install in a bedroom door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Yes you can feel free to install a keyed entry knob on your bedroom door. we do on ours. In our home all of the door knobs are the same brand. My wife and I have been slowly replacing everything with nickel plated or colored fixtures and cover plates. Our room has a keyed door lock, the teen age boys also have a keyed door lock and we have the keys to it. The younger kids have passage sets, meaning that they do not lock at all. The bathrooms have privacy locks and on the hall closets we have passage sets. You can do this with any of the major brands of lock and even many of the off brands. most privacy lock sets can be opened easily which would kind of defeat the purpose of keeping someone out of your room. What you want to have is a keyed lock with a latch that can not be pried open.

Installation is the same with any of the handlesets that you choose. They take the same cylindrical hole in the door.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Get a combination lock or a fingerprint reader. They are more fun. There are companies that make secret door locks you can install on any door. Put the chess pieces in the right locations and click, the door opens. Light a fire in the fireplace, move the right book, lif a particulat wine glass. there are all kinds of ways to activate a lock mechanism these days.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Door hardware is fairly straight forward. You mentioned a keyed entrance lock. That would be the function. What style do you want? Lever, or knob? Then choose a design similar to the surrounding sets, and with a similar finish. Levers can be handed, and may required some rework after reading the instructions to get the lever oriented correctly based on the swing of the door. Remove the cylinder first, and then the latch, and re-install new latch, and the cylinder.
I biased to Schlage, because they were the commercial standard in the bay area being made in South San Francisco, but now Mexico. Kwikset is okay, and most other should be researched prior to purchase. The big Orange store should have this, but don't expect knowledgeable help.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Many (if not all) of the bed/bath locks will unlatch if you attempt to close the door while the lock is engaged. They are designed to work after the door has been closed and you engage the lock. So they will be alright to keep the wondering kid from opening the door while your inside. Anyway, any kid above 6 knows how to open them with a paper clip or skewer, so they are useless as a security device.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
"I want to keep people OUT of my bedroom. What kind of lock?"

"People"; it begs the question:
If you can't trust the people you room with (an assumption on my part), why live with them?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"I want to keep people OUT of my bedroom. What kind of lock?"

"People"; it begs the question:
If you can't trust the people you room with (an assumption on my part), why live with them?
Who knows, we don't have all the facts. Could be a rental situation with room mates. Could be a sibling situation where brothers or sisters are not wanted in the room. We don't have all the facts. Still do the facts matter? All I know is that someone wants to have the ability to lock up a room. As a locksmith I am all for offering what I know may work.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
When I was 10 yrs old and couldnt keep my brother out of my bedroom. I took my allowance and walked up to ACO hardware and bought a entry style door knob. I then installed it myself shocking and amusing my parents. I had a key. Little bro couldnt get into my room to break stuff and that made me happy.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Many of my Section 8 tenants starting using exterior door locks on bedroom doors...

Housing requires they remove them or it's a fail on the annual inspection.

Inspector told me they had too many damaged bedroom doors when the door has a lock.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
When I was 10 yrs old and couldnt keep my brother out of my bedroom. I took my allowance and walked up to ACO hardware and bought a entry style door knob. I then installed it myself shocking and amusing my parents. I had a key. Little bro couldnt get into my room to break stuff and that made me happy.
That wouldn't have kept me out. I climbed out on the garage roof and into my older sister's bedroom window. If there was no roof, I would have gotten a ladder from the garage. Locking the window wouldn't have made a difference. I knew how to unlock them from the outside. I was an expert lock picker. Padlocks, combination locks, key locks---I considered all to be a fun challenge.

She had really great clothes. If she had a great car, I'd know how to hotwire. I always wanted to learn that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House