Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If they weren't doing this for you... what WOULD they be doing?

What are they capable of doing? Can they do this without supervision?
Have they done it before? Well? Do they have any of the needed tools?

Most adults doing this sort of day labor work who have any of that competence,
experience, tools, and so forth are already advertising as "handy man".

The person would be doing nothing or looking for work when not doing this stuff for me, as he is unemployed and needs the work and I need the work done. I don't have any reason at all to mistrust this person as we know eachother quite well. Its not just some worker I am picking up from craigslist. What he is capable of doing is kind of irrelevant in my mind because I am paying him to do this work, not to design a spaceship or teach a high school biology class. Both he and I have all the tools needed. I will buy and materials (caulk, shrubs, etc.) I do agree this is kind of handyman work but I think a bit lower level because it entails not even basic plumbing or electricity. I do normally use contractors and pay by the job but I just have such a variety of stuff and about 2 weeks of work (clean out storage shed, caulk, replace some weather strips, power wash, clean gutters, plant some shrubs) that I am just comfortable with an hourly rate. I do think $15 is a good rate and will pay that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
I pay someone $20 an hour to do general labor on my old house (which I still own and am renting out). He knows I report it on my taxes and I give him a tax form too. $10 or $15 an hour sounds really low, but then, my guy has to pay taxes so maybe it evens out.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
I have done side work off and on over the years. I make $50 an hour. Then again I specialize in locksmithing, door and window repair, and cabinet work. When I say that I make $50 an hour, I usually work per job and know about how long a job will take me to do. It is not always perfect but the majority of time I can make it right around $50 an hour. I also have a minumum amount that I charge anyone. If someone wants me to come out to their home or business it is going to cost them $75.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What does "fair" mean? And why do you care?
The OP, like me, wants to make sure they're not underpaying someone, because doing so indicates you're greedy, mean-spirited, or so frugal as to be insulting to the person doing the work.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 36,212 times
Outside of a high school kid or someone very inexperienced and/or desperate, $10-15/hr for a temporary job is not much at all, especially if you aren't paying cash (the person has to or should declare it as income). Do you estimate this will be all full days? Are parts of multiple days?

A CHEAP handyman in my area will want at least $30/hour (plus materials) and that's if he's close. Since it involves getting up on ladders, I think I'd want someone reputable, which means they are probably insured and will report the income... in such a case, $15/hr is an insult.... paying someone that or less in this litigious society? Mistake.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuteSwol View Post
Outside of a high school kid or someone very inexperienced and/or desperate, $10-15/hr for a temporary job is not much at all, especially if you aren't paying cash (the person has to or should declare it as income). Do you estimate this will be all full days? Are parts of multiple days?

A CHEAP handyman in my area will want at least $30/hour (plus materials) and that's if he's close. Since it involves getting up on ladders, I think I'd want someone reputable, which means they are probably insured and will report the income... in such a case, $15/hr is an insult.... paying someone that or less in this litigious society? Mistake.
Before I hired my guys, I ASKED what the charge was. If I'm told $10 or $15 an hour, what's the problem??

Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I know who will be doing the work already and he is willing to do it at whatever rate I will pay. I do care about fair. That's just who I am.
Is this the same amateur handyman/painter/wannabe you told me about who messed up another job that he did on the way cheap and then wanted the homeowner to buy more equipment and tools so he could, maybe, finish it up to her satisfaction after he screwed up?

Since you're paying cash, I'd say ten-fifteen bucks an hour...but a fixed price for the job would be more fair to everyone and presumably this person has some sort of an idea how long it will take him to caulk some windows and do some power washing. If he doesn't, then you're not dealing with someone who even pretends to be a professional.
Who owns the equipment? Is he insured?

You very often get what you pay for....which of you is the party most likely to know what the job is worth? If neither you are a multi-property rental owner, or this dude as a supposed handyman, know what to charge, well that is a problem.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Before I hired my guys, I ASKED what the charge was. If I'm told $10 or $15 an hour, what's the problem??
Make sure you are there to hold the ladder and supervise?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:26 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuteSwol View Post
Make sure you are there to hold the ladder and supervise?
I'm not the OP. He asked a simple question and I answered what I knew to be true where I live. I am not hiring anybody at the present. BUT I have hired the same people, several times, and am happy with their work.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I'm not the OP. He asked a simple question and I answered what I knew to be true where I live. I am not hiring anybody at the present. BUT I have hired the same people, several times, and am happy with their work.

Hey, I'm not saying it isn't possible to get quality labor at the prices you are talking, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House