Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:13 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times

Advertisements

I am going to pay someone to caulk around several windows of different properties I own, also do some general cleanup such as power washing sidewalks & driveways, maybe cleaning out gutters too. Some of it involves climbing up on ladders. The windows are all different sizes so a "per window" fee doesn't work & also there's other general labor tasks so I want to pay an hourly rate. Have no idea what a fair hourly rate is since I generally do work like this myself or use general contractors when I renovate a property.

This is not a post asking for advice about liability issues, nor am I asking for feedback on my idea about hiring someone to do the work or what kind of worker I should seek. Just need input on hourly rate only.

Suggestions on an hourly rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
I'd say $15/hr.
But, being in the industry I'd never pay someone hourly- it's "X" number of dollars for A, B, or C. Too many want to take advantage of the hourly and "milk it" for all it's worth.

For each specific job figure a price then negotiate from there.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Figure how long it would take for each job. Using that time figure $15.00 per hour and offer that flat rate on the job. If it would take about 2 hours to caulk the windows, offer $30.00 for that job. Each job is separate and make the offer to pay for each job or offer the total for all jobs combined. That avoids the lag behind to get more money. If the job is done in less time than you figured, the handyperson will still get paid a fair amount. Make sure you agree to the amount before the job is started.
That's how I do it.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
What does "fair" mean? And why do you care?

Get several estimates. All else being equal, hire the cheapest guy.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What does "fair" mean? And why do you care?

Get several estimates. All else being equal, hire the cheapest guy.

I know who will be doing the work already and he is willing to do it at whatever rate I will pay. I do care about fair. That's just who I am.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Just need input on hourly rate only. ... Suggestions on an hourly rate?
If they weren't doing this for you... what WOULD they be doing?

What are they capable of doing? Can they do this without supervision?
Have they done it before? Well? Do they have any of the needed tools?

Most adults doing this sort of day labor work who have any of that competence,
experience, tools, and so forth are already advertising as "handy man".

Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
Probably the "going rate" varies depending on where you live.
You can check Craig's List to get an idea of what others are charging.
We have guys that help us out occasionally. They work for $10 an hour for just manual labor. But, we always give them lunch and a good "tip" because they do work hard.
We have a more skilled man that we really like. He works alone or with my husband for $15 an hour. Again....we treat him well. And we trust him.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
If a mechanic is well taken care of they'll do what's best for the person paying their wage. They may see something and bring it to your attention. A low paid, or piecework (if piece rate is too low) employee will do as little as possible to receive maximum pay. Disgruntled people have a way of showing dissatisfaction in the quality of their work.
I did piecework in the late 70's, and early 80's, but always made more than the union wage at that time. I was always happy to do the right thing. Bottomline, you get what you pay for. Some have no problem hiring illegal aliens, and then complaining about them at the family dinner. Do what's right, and you will be rewarded with a dedicated employee.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,220 times
I just had 400 sq feet of screen (10 panels and 2 doors) replaced. I bought the screen. I paid the gentleman 250$ to do the work. I did that because I know he would do a excellent job. Paying by the hour is crazy. Pick a figure that you would want to do it. Then offer that.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
I say go to Craigslist and look under the "gigs - labor" section to see what others are paying for similar work with similar experience required.

My son (21) does this kind of general labor work and doesn't have a lot of specific experience, but he is smart and a hard worker who follows directions well. He is generally paid about $10 an hour and that seems to be the norm for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House