U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM

6,078 posts, read 7,800,447 times

Advertisements

I have an electric dryer that is vented externally and comes out right above the deck. The vent is about 7 feet above the deck and has your standard dryer vent cover of the old school type (aluminum, rectangular) which directs the air down. I don't want to move the location of the vent, which seems like real work, but I'd like the exhaust to blow somewhere away from the deck.

Is there any way to make it vent the exhaust up or to one side? I looked around to see if somebody made a product for this and I didn't have any luck. Maybe it isn't possible to vent up and still keep out rain/birds/whatnot, but I don't see why a sideways exhaust vent should be a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 AM

4,561 posts, read 22,628,928 times
The back draft flap has to close when the air stops flowing. How about just adding an extension?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM

9,918 posts, read 22,048,152 times
The louvered caps might direct the air a little more straight out vs down, not a ton but a little. Still has to be installed upright though for the louvers to close.

I don't know if you could just put a pure straight out flow there, with mesh to block stuff from getting in? Does it strictly need to have a flap at all?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 AM

26,345 posts, read 86,667,244 times
While on this topic, I have a slightly different question.

We have a gas dryer. Sometimes in winter it is really dry here in SoCal. Is it safe to exhaust the dryer into the house to increase the humidity?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,191,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I have an electric dryer that is vented externally and comes out right above the deck. The vent is about 7 feet above the deck and has your standard dryer vent cover of the old school type (aluminum, rectangular) which directs the air down. I don't want to move the location of the vent, which seems like real work, but I'd like the exhaust to blow somewhere away from the deck.

Is there any way to make it vent the exhaust up or to one side? I looked around to see if somebody made a product for this and I didn't have any luck. Maybe it isn't possible to vent up and still keep out rain/birds/whatnot, but I don't see why a sideways exhaust vent should be a problem.
I had the same problem but at deck level.

I used a water box. kept the lint from covering the deck.

if you could build a small decortive box and place the water box inside the exaust will vent up.

the exaust is forced downward to water in the reservoir, the lint sticks to the water, and the air is vented upward.

A simple ledge[to hold the box] and cover screen [to cover the box]could work.

This is not a great example, but I hope you see my thinking...

<<<water box inside and decrative box/screen covers/hides water box.

.................................................. ......................................

<<<I'm not familiar with this product, but it seems to be what you are looking for.

Clothes Dryer Vent Seal from Battic Door Energy Conservation Products on AECinfo.com

Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I used a water box. kept the lint from covering the deck.
That might work as it would force the air up. I haven't had issues with the lint, so I could maybe leave it dry. Keeping a water box full when it is above my reach would be pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
<<<I'm not familiar with this product, but it seems to be what you are looking for.

Clothes Dryer Vent Seal from Battic Door Energy Conservation Products on AECinfo.com
I don't know if that would help. The air still goes down.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 4,516,355 times
Hi Charles NO! It is NOT safe! Even though natural gas is a hydrocarbon, there are unhealthy constituents in dryer vent gases. Just get a humidifier!
OP, what is below the deck?

Last edited by QIS; 05-25-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Hi Charles NO! It is NOT safe! Even though natural gas is a hydrocarbon, there are unhealthy constituents in dryer vent gases. Just get a humidifier!
Yes. Gas dryers have to vent externally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
OP, what is below the deck?
Dirt and maybe a groundhog or two. It's just a couple feet from the top of the deck to the ground. If you're thinking I should run the vent down below the deck, that's not a bad idea in general. However, I don't think it will work in my case because of the distance involved. Right now the vent runs about 30 feet in total. Another eight foot down would just be too far.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:41 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,646,786 times
Default Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post

Some dryers allow dryer lint to fly out of the exhaust along with hot air. You wouldn't want it to build up in the vent. Its the best outdoors fire starter. I notice when I am biking around the streets that there is a strong smell in the air of the perfume used in dryer sheets and I guess Downy.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM

14,618 posts, read 55,053,541 times
I think the easiest solution to your dilemma is to not use the dryer when using the deck-
Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House