Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM

270 posts, read 593,077 times

Advertisements

Hello

we're about to build a house and the builder offers different kitchen packages. Standard, Chef's Kitchen(+ 11k) and Professional(+25k).

I'm not used to the US brands, so it is very difficult for me to make a decision.

All my former kitchens had Bosch, Miele, Liebherr products.

For the Chef's kitchen it's Jenn-Air and for the Professional Wolf and Sub-Zero. Never heard of them before.

Could somebody tell me more about it, please? Are there big differences in quality and durability? I've googled a lot but it's always a "you hate them or you love them" thing.

Cooking is my passion, so I would actually use the kitchen every day. It's not for show.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Jenn-Air is a good brand and is considered mid-tier.

We have the "higher" end Thermador appliances (which you probably heard of as they are owned by Bosch) and they are generally comparable to the Wolf Sub-Zero (maybe Wolf/ Sub-Zero is a bit more expensive).

With Jenn-Air, I think you will get solid quality/ reliability (all brands are a bit of a crap shoot). The "wow" factor is with the upgrade, but I would look at the specs of the oven & range (2 most important parts) and see if the costlier options appeal to you (do you want a steam oven or Super high BTUs or Simmer mode...)? IMO, all dishwashers are basically the same (some are a bit louder, but only really inexpensive ones are truly loud) and refrigerators are the same (aside from aesthetics).

Hope that helps.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
but I would look at the specs of the oven & range (2 most important parts) and see if the costlier options appeal to you (do you want a steam oven or Super high BTUs or Simmer mode...)?
Thanks for the answer!

I would love to have a steam oven and was a little disappointed that they call a normal+convection oven "Professional" but don't offer steam ovens. When I asked the woman there she was very surprised, cause she had never heard of steam ovens before. I assume she was thinking something like :"Pft! Snobby Europeans..." Maybe we can work something out. I was thinking of maybe choosing the less costly Chef's Kitchen and invest the money in additional appliances like the steam oven, kitchen aid stuff, espresso machine, etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Thanks for the answer!

I would love to have a steam oven and was a little disappointed that they call a normal+convection oven "Professional" but don't offer steam ovens. When I asked the woman there she was very surprised, cause she had never heard of steam ovens before. I assume she was thinking something like :"Pft! Snobby Europeans..." Maybe we can work something out. I was thinking of maybe choosing the less costly Chef's Kitchen and invest the money in additional appliances like the steam oven, kitchen aid stuff, espresso machine, etc.
Yeah. Maybe you can pick and choose which appliances you want upgraded and then include additional ones (e.g. espresso machine, built-in microwave...)

Old 05-28-2013, 04:16 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
The difference in price among these options is solely the appliances? Because if so, wow, that's a huge difference for basically a stove, fridge and dishwasher.

I agree - the stove is the key for anyone who cooks (and a big fridge). I would think going for one of the lower options and investing the difference in what you really want is the best route.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
The difference in price among these options is solely the appliances?
That's right...it's the only difference. No better cabinets, bigger kitchen or different floor. That's why I was thinking of going for the less high end kitchen and spend the money for additional appliances. I'll do that. Even if the Sub-Zero Fridge looks tempting.

Thank you both for your help!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 AM

452 posts, read 898,335 times
Talk to the builder and ask if they can wire for your desired appliances and you buy them outright. It sounds like you might be able to design your own kitchen since you are dealing with different tiers of appliance packages. Buy the appliances you want and have them installed by the builder and have the builder give you credit for the appliances that he would have installed with general not chef's or premier kitchen package appliances. Trying to retro fit appliances after building is hard to do. If you are dealing with high end appliance and builders they should be able to comply with that and also install once you have your appliances.

The builder is asking you to use these brands because he is solicited by the appliance industry and they can get kick backs from using those appliances. Sort of like drs and prescription companies getting little trips for how many prescriptions they write for a certain drug.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
I would do the above suggestion. Get the range/oven that you want, that works for your cooking style. We have had a lot of mid and high end appliances over the years and there are true differences between them.

For example: We have had the best line of Kenmore, Viking and Bosch dishwashers and the Bosch blew them all away for quietness. Other than the exterior there wasn't much difference functionally between the Kenmore and Viking.

I don't like all electric ranges but gas ranges are definitely not created equal. Whether you decide to go for all gas or a dual fuel (or a steam function) range will matter as far as the plumbing and wiring. I'll never have another Viking refrigerator no matter how good looking the exterior (but we like our Viking range) in general looking for sturdy metal and glass shelving, multiple drawers easily reconfigured, decent energy ratings because fridges are enegry hogs. Sub-zero has a good reputation for quality and for being rather bullet proof. We have Sub-Zero freezer drawers and love, love, love them. Our Icon refrigerator mid-upper end has been very reliable.

When we redo our kitchen, we will possibly plumb in a small two station espresso machine. Get the kitchen you want the first time out. Best of luck on you new home.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
I would point out that those of us who enjoy the labors of the chef but are left to clean up the mess would sure appreciate some attention to cleanability of all these pro ranges. This seems to be the absolute last consideration. And they can be impossible to clean. Non-sealed burners, a zillion nooks and crannies....this stuff matters to the person cleaning up after your masterpiece.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
...cleanability of all these pro ranges.....

A real consideration All things being reasonably the same I go for ease of cleaning to break a tie. My Viking is as good as it gets in this department. Everything on top can go in the dishwasher and there is a slide pan for spill outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House