Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
yes, that is what we get as well, not stain. i heard power washing will get water behind the siding and cause problems.
Purchase an electrical power washer for under $100 and add nothing to it. I have to do it to one of my accessory buildings about once every 5 years. Just use a ladder and shoot it from about a foot away. You'll get a little more wet, but it'll be gone. I don't add chemicals btw. Vinyl siding is interconnected so there is little chance of water getting behind it. But just in case, that's why I also recommended an electric over a gas powered one since it has much less power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Oh believe me. Water can get behind vinyl siding, especially from a power washer if not used properly. All you need to do is get close to aiming that spray the wrong direction at one overlap and you are shooting a stream of high pressure water directly behind the siding.

Also, since vinyl has to be able to move, no corners are completely sealed tight.

A power washer can be used on vinyl siding, just not by everyone. You have to know what you are doing.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Default My first vinyl siding washing... no power washer

Lived in my house for a yr and the north side has a lot of green color on the vinyl sidng. I was just about to buy a ladder and perhaps a electric power washer (which together would be $250+), and I figure why not give this product a try (got it for 4 bucks on sale last Labor day).

Mold Armor - Mold Armor 56-oz. House Wash Hose End Sprayer-FG511 at The Home Depot

Wow, I was amazed ... it worked so well my siding looks brand new again. All the light green stuff is gone. The dark heavy trails of green did not totally disappear but are a lot lighter. I needed to do a 2nd application but it started to rain, so I'll repeat in a month or 2. The area I cleaned was small (less than 200 sq ft) and I used most of the bottle already. For larger areas, it'd take several bottles instead of just 1.

It comes with a hose end sprayer built in. So all it takes is connecting the garden hose to it, spray the siding, then rinse off after 10 min. I probably sprayed too slow so next time I'll remember to go faster so less product is used.

I did hear that a power washer can get water in places where water isn't supposed to go, so there is a risk of causing damage. I know there are many versions of products out there that only requires spraying on with a pump sprayer. However, I'm not a fan of climbing up a ladder and I don't even own a ladder that gets me up to the 2nd story. So I'm so glad this product worked so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House