Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Yes and we walked to school in the snow and it was uphill both ways. Well that was then, this is now. Does one still wash their clothes by hand and hang them outside? Come on folks, move into the 21st century.
Walked half a mile to the school bus. No hills. Don't wash clothes by hand but do hang them outside when the weather is amenable. Living in the 21st. century - have cable, internet, cell phone, etc.

If I lived where it was 105 in the shade with no shade, I'd certainly want to have a/c. I stated in my previous post that we here in NEPA don't normally have sustained heat for more than a couple of days here and there throughout the Summer. With my methods of coping with those few days, I see no reason for putting-in and taking-out the a/c.

There are people, you know, who live different lives than what you experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 05:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
I think some of us just lack tolerance for heat and/or humidity. I live in a fairly dry climate but when it gets too warm I start feeling like I can't breathe.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Yes and we walked to school in the snow and it was uphill both ways. Well that was then, this is now. Does one still wash their clothes by hand and hang them outside? Come on folks, move into the 21st century.
yes, actually I don't have a dryer and I do hang my laundry on a clothesline, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The sun dries the clothes for free, and I am conserving energy for the planet and most of all my electric bill......

But a/c at night is a must, especially to drowned out city noises as my bedroom is in the front of the building.....so I suck that up on my electric bill

Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Usually around 6PM is the max temp. of 107-109 Fahrenheit outside. Being outside in the heat is not a problem: find some shade and there's usually a breeze. Not too bad. Inside my non-AC place it gets stifling. I just turn on one big box fan on and point it at me (especially face). It's comfortable for sitting watching a game on TV. By midnight, the temp is down and into the 70s overnight. I leave a big fan running inside the window screen to draw in the cool night air into the bedroom.

why are people suffering in heat? Window a/c units run about a hundred bucks

Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
It's really just a matter of air circulation. When I lived in Arkansas, which gets VERY hot and humid at night, I was fortunate to have a house that had wonderful cross ventilation. I just opened the front and back doors to the screen doors and the side windows to screens, and always had a great breeze circulating in the house. The house did have a central a/c unit but I rarely used it.

And back when I was a child and visited my grandparents in south Louisiana, they didn't have a/c at all. Everyone slept out on the "sleeping porches" which were a part of early houses - upper floor open porches and lower floor screened porches.

On the the other hand, the past 2 summers I lived in Iowa, and it got VERY hot and muggy in the summers. I lived in a nasty building built in the 1960s. Some of the windows didn't even open. If I hadn't had air conditioning I think I would have gone berzerk.

That's why, now that I'm looking to buy a house again, I would never ever ever EVER buy a house built after 1965. GOT to have that natural air circulation! I can't stand a closed up house.

I did spend one summer in NYC, and remember just sweltering at night in our 5th floor walk-up. One more reason not to live in a high-crime urban area - I need to be able to leave my windows and doors open at night.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I live in an area of the USA that gets summer temperatures around 105-109 Fahrenheit for numerous days in a row, but it's dry heat not humid. Most people in my area use AC. They will say it's not possible to be comfortable without AC, but I do it. I have lived without AC forever. All it takes to be comfortable in 109F is a large box electric fan aimed directly on me using a low setting. Also, the night temperature drops, so a constant fan breeze with an open window makes sleeping through the night easy for me.

I've never been in The Southern USA in the summer or experienced summer humid temperatures. Do some people in very humid areas get-by just fine without any home AC in the summer? If so, how do they do it?
I didn't use my a/c here in Houston for the first 3 summers...

My house was in a wooded area/entirely shaded.

I was basically only home during daylight hours on Sundays and I spend most Sundays outside doing chores anyway.

It always seemed to dip into the 70s with a slight breeze most nights and I would open a window.

Had ceiling fans but never used them...had a small desk fan for the windowsill instead.

My average electric bill was about $27.00 per month. That was a somewhat large house. Running the a/c would have cost me around $450 a month going by what neighbors reported paying.

I don't mind the heat but guests seldom feel the same way.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
why are people suffering in heat? Window a/c units run about a hundred bucks
Exactly, we have 3 of them, and we are in the Seattle area where it gets only to about 85, and only for a few weeks in August. I can't stand over about 75 in the house, 68 is best. I have spent time in the south on vacations and wouldn't move to a place like new Orleans with heat and humidity for $250,000 year salary.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Exactly, we have 3 of them, and we are in the Seattle area where it gets only to about 85, and only for a few weeks in August. I can't stand over about 75 in the house, 68 is best. I have spent time in the south on vacations and wouldn't move to a place like new Orleans with heat and humidity for $250,000 year salary.

me either.

any of those southern states sound like a horror to me. Florida, Georgia, blech !!
humidity puts me in such a bad mood. i simply cannot stand it.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
LOL. I would love to have a summer home somewhere like Maine, then come back home for the winter.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
I'm in the southeast. We made it to June before turning on the AC which is nice. If I had my way, it would still be off, but wife and kids... We do have rules for it though. If the high is under 88, AC stays off, and we keep it 79/80 when it's on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House