Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 PM

75 posts, read 413,816 times

Advertisements

Hi I need some help/advice.

I saw a home that I love, except for the wood floors. They are gorgeous, large plank, real wood ... but all the boards throughout the home have about 1/8" - 1/4" gap in them. The agent thought they were intended to be that way to look "rustic" ... but the more I read, the more I think it is either intentional or terribly installed.

Any idea about if something like this could be intentional? If not, any thoughts about how to address these large gaps? I'm afraid I might lose something (ring? key? etc) between the boards or that someone might stub their toes because the gaps are that significant.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM

224 posts, read 432,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy_joe View Post
Hi I need some help/advice.

I saw a home that I love, except for the wood floors. They are gorgeous, large plank, real wood ... but all the boards throughout the home have about 1/8" - 1/4" gap in them. The agent thought they were intended to be that way to look "rustic" ... but the more I read, the more I think it is either intentional or terribly installed.

Any idea about if something like this could be intentional? If not, any thoughts about how to address these large gaps? I'm afraid I might lose something (ring? key? etc) between the boards or that someone might stub their toes because the gaps are that significant.

Thanks for the help!
hmmm, not sure but a quick googling of it shows some links that make it sound like a bad thing..would be a pain to clean too--lots of stuff will get in there

Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the more I google and read, the more I think it's a mess. These planks are wide ... 6" or so ... maybe that's why the gap is so awful. But it's really humid w/ all the rain and those gaps are significant. All wood floors across two stories - they're beautiful except for the gaps, and I am hesitant to buy a home and in a year want to rip up all the flooring because of these big gaps.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the more I google and read, the more I think it's a mess. These planks are wide ... 6" or so ... maybe that's why the gap is so awful. But it's really humid w/ all the rain and those gaps are significant. All wood floors across two stories - they're beautiful except for the gaps, and I am hesitant to buy a home and in a year want to rip up all the flooring because of these big gaps.
well, actually if the gaps are big now, i'd be worried about winter because that is when the woods shrinks a bit and could cause gaps (in this case, bigger gaps)

oh, i just found this:
Nearly every wood floor endures some separation in between boards. In winter, when homes are heated and the air is dry, wood flooring gives up some of its moisture and shrinks. When that happens, cracks appear between the boards. In the spring, when the heat is off and the indoor environment regains moisture, most gaps normally close.

Wood boards become dormant with indoor humidity levels of 30-50%and temperatures of 60-80F.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Can you take a close up picture?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
well, actually if the gaps are big now, i'd be worried about winter because that is when the woods shrinks a bit and could cause gaps (in this case, bigger gaps)

That's what I was thinking. 1/4 inch is quite big. Obviously you wouldn't notice something normal.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:23 AM

Here's a photo from the listing:

Intentional gaps in wood flooring?????-eaglefloors.jpg

The lines you see between the floors are the gaps ... hard to see the width of the gaps here, but it gives an idea of the plank size and gaps. Thanks for the replies!

Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
sounds like your agent is blowing smoke up your *****.
The floors are beautiful except, most likely they were installed wrong. Alot of flooring needs to adjust to the house's moisture levels. They should be piled in the room they will be used for a few days to acclimate to moisture levels. I bet they were installed before that happened. The gaps will get bigger in the winter.....

Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Here's a photo from the listing:

Attachment 112738

The lines you see between the floors are the gaps ... hard to see the width of the gaps here, but it gives an idea of the plank size and gaps. Thanks for the replies!
oh you can definitely see the gaps!! what a shame

Old 06-07-2013, 06:25 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Wow, those are OTHEREWISE beautiful floors, but I agree the Gaps are not a good thing. I would either avoid, or make fixing it a requirement in your offering (tricky, since pushing them together will leave a huge border).

On the plus side, you could probably take a shower out there, and never have to worry about puddling...

Seriously though, that is beautiful, and a shame. All at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House