Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM

310 posts, read 1,155,259 times

Advertisements

We have a faulty smoke alarm in the house. I was just going to replace the unit, but when I went online and reviews of my current nit it seems many people are experiencing the same problems. So....my question is, can I replace with a different brand or must they all be the same brand since they are hard wired together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,774,199 times
How old are the units you have? You might be due to replace them all anyway.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 PM

17,406 posts, read 65,568,867 times
Yep, if they're past 10yoa I'd replace them all.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 AM

The units are less than 3 years old....The first one died when the house was less than a year old...now another is going.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,006,456 times
What do you mean by 'the 3 year old smoke detector died'?
If the steady green light is visible and you see a red light blink [with the green], it is working.
Press the test button to hear if it's working.
Hard wire detectors also have a battery as a back up if there is a power failure. Have you ever changed the battery?
The smoke sensor may be dirty with dust causing it to beep or blast. Blow compressed air into it to clear the dust.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 AM

I have changed the battery, most recently in April. We have vacuumed the smoke alarm, used an air can to clean it out. Yes, the light is on to indicate it is working, but it is malfunctioning. Google USI 7795 smoke alarms, and you will see that mine is doing the same thing (the reviews are terrible on this particular model)...random alarms for no reason, and now that it is hot in AZ, it goes off in the middle of the afternoon.

And what I mean by the 3 year old detector died is that- it is malfunctioning, the average life of a smoke alarm is between 5-10 years. One unit malfunctioned 1 year after install, random beeps, kills batteries in 2 months, replace batteries only to have them alarm in 2 weeks again. And now another unit is doing the same. Yes, I have tested it, reset it all according to mfr instructions.

SO...again....My question is- can i replace the unit with a different brand or use the newer model of the same brand and will they all sync since they are hardwired?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,217,429 times
So far as using a newer unit of the same brand, you would be best to call the manufacturer and ask.

For mixing brands, if you are not knowledgeable about electronics, then you should only use another brand if the manufacturer says it will work with your existing smoke detectors.

If you are knowledgeable about electronics, then you would need to do testing like the person in the following link did...
(As there is no interconnection standard and various units can be different.)
Smoke Detector Interface

Also you should call the two manufacturers and ask what the electrical specifications are for each unit's interconnection wire.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:10 PM

7,301 posts, read 12,212,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsley55 View Post
I think you should change the unit with another brand and replace all the wiring because in the market many low quality brands available but the durability nothing so purchased the quality product and instal it.
Yes, stick with Kidde/FireX or First Alert/BRK. Also, as a recommendation, you should get at least one photoelectric or dual sensor alarm, which will provide far superior detection of slow smoldering fires. Also, if you have natural gas service, get either a smoke and carbon monoxide combo detector, or a separate plug-in carbon monoxide detector.

If you are having many problems, I would replace them all. If you want to keep your existing detectors, USI has an updated line of detectors now available and they should work with your existing units. On interesting product that USI now offers is their new patented IoPhic smoke alarm. While using an ionization sensor, USI claims that the IoPhic should deliver better sensing of slow smoldering fires than photoelectric or dual sensor alarms. However, since it still uses an ionization sensor, I would take that with a grain of salt. The newest models include the 5304 (ionization), MP117 (photoelectric), and MDS107 (IoPhic).

Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,378,409 times
I have the house hard-wired with smoke alarms to a central security panel. The whole system died within the first two years after we built. I now have battery operated alarms everywhere, and didn't bother replacing the alarm system. I think the benefit of the portable battery models is that, by replacing the batteries every six months, you get the dust off the things by default. The hard-wired alarms were so out of sight, out of mind and never beeped to require maintenance -- so they never got cleaned. I'm sure that was part of the problem.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 AM

9,125 posts, read 14,669,682 times
Omg! We have those alarms and they have always given us trouble since we bought the house new in 2006. Just like you say, random "low battery" beeps, especially in the middle of the night. The things eat batteries loke they are nothing. Seems worse when its cold?

Making it worse is one of our dogs is terrified of the beeps. If its in the middle of the night she will get up and try to get into bed and will not stop. During the day, sometimes she will pee on the floor.

I have bought the ten year batteries and have them go out in a years time. It is hard wired, it shouldnt even need to use the battery unless the power goes out! I have replaced the worst one and would have given that thing a beat down like in the end of Office Space if not for the americium. Don't want radioactive particles all over, even if it is a tiny amount.

I think I will just suck it up and replace them all this fall instead of the batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House