Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I prefer sheets that are "crisp" and cool as well as soft, if that makes sense. In other words, I don't like sheets that are overly soft and that wrap around me too easily. In my experience, some of the higher thread count sheets are too "pliable" and velvety soft. I live in the South and can't BEAR to feel hot at night or get all tangled up in my sheets!

Personally I prefer 100 percent cotton, 400 thread count sheets - dried on a clothes line. WOOHOO!

Just for the record, my grandmother's sheets were 100 percent cotton and probably 200-400 thread count. I still have two sets of hers and they are over 50 years old and have been washed countless times. In my opinion, it's the quality of the cotton that's more important than the thread count. Look for sheets that feel "thick." Very thin sheets, regardless of thread count, will not wear well.

Also, cotton blended with other materials (which is very common in sheets found at places like WalMart and Target) is the most prone to "pilling." BLECH! I can't stand that.
Yep, I love old fashioned crisp sheets. I hate all these new sateen sheets out there. Way to soft and slippery for me. I have some Feildcrest that I bought at Target that are pretty close to what I remember sleeping on in my childhood farmhouse in the rural Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Most of my sheets are old--and better than anything I can find today. Back in the 90s I could still find real cotton sheets at yard sales so I got as many as I could find. I also have some that my mother bought in the 70s and they're good too.

These sheets aren't flimsy, they're crisp and hefty. I don't see them wrinking much either. I line dry them or even put them in the dryer, fold them, and they're fine. My mother used to iron sheets!! Then, years later, she said it was okay to just iron the hems on them!

If there is any wrinkling, that's fine with me because cotton will wrinkle but cotton feels good. Wrinkles don't matter in sheets anyway. I like to take a good cotton sheet and shake it and it snaps. I cannot STAND polyester in sheets. It's in motel sheets and it either feels slimy (?) scratchy or just plain thin.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most of my sheets are old--and better than anything I can find today. Back in the 90s I could still find real cotton sheets at yard sales so I got as many as I could find. I also have some that my mother bought in the 70s and they're good too.

These sheets aren't flimsy, they're crisp and hefty. I don't see them wrinking much either. I line dry them or even put them in the dryer, fold them, and they're fine. My mother used to iron sheets!! Then, years later, she said it was okay to just iron the hems on them!

If there is any wrinkling, that's fine with me because cotton will wrinkle but cotton feels good. Wrinkles don't matter in sheets anyway. I like to take a good cotton sheet and shake it and it snaps. I cannot STAND polyester in sheets. It's in motel sheets and it either feels slimy (?) scratchy or just plain thin.

OMG, I though it was just me, I had one set of sage green sheets, loved them, but after a while they always seem to feel as if the were not completely dry, yes, slimy, ugh, I know what you mean.
I threw them out, they werent even a year old, dont remember the brand. I just hated the slimy feeling.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:28 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Default Have had trouble finding appropriate sheets.

I have had issues finding sheets that I really like. In the past, I either bought some or was given a set as a gift, not fully noting the specifics of ones I ended up liking, that have remained consistently soft and cool. I now have older, mismatched pieces due to wear and trying to replace, besides getting a set, but have had mishaps, returning a couple and being stuck with another. I've been looking on and off for a while in different stores and feel some are too expensive for what they really are.

I have found it confusing about the TC, but am reading a lot of explanations about. I feel it has been made complicated and is another ploy for makers to jump on the bandwagon, making something more cheaply and misrepresentative, which is frustrating for many. Also, sheets may feel soft or luxurious in the store, due to softeners that may be used, as another ploy. I've heard that the "sweet spot" when tested was about 300 TC. Why does it need to be this difficult when it should be straight forward? I've read that many have been returning sheets to stores, so it is not helping overall to dupe people.

I saw ones in a discount store earlier that I may go back and get, a "Ralph Lauren 300 TC Sateen set" and was trying to locate reviews for when I landed here. The fabric felt great from what I could feel, but who knows. Though previously I thought it needed to be a higher TC, it does seem that the WEAVE is the more the deal, instead. I've found I will visibly study the weave of the ones at home and sort of "memorize" how closely woven and length of thread, which might sound crazy.. but if the next ones don't work out, it's back to the store. Getting tired of this.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
The first time I ever heard of thread count was a few years ago and it was a story on how some diva wont stay in a hotel if they dont have her specifications... I hadnt a clue what its all about and as long as mine are clean and changed twice a week Im happy..

Old 04-06-2014, 03:02 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Twice a week? I wash my pillow cases once a week only because I slobber like a Saint Bernard when I sleep

Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
My husband doesnt keep well and is in bed quite a lot during the day so I have to change them more often.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 4,353 times
After talking with a friend who's retailed bed sheets for 20 years: threadcount isnt the only thing that counts, it's how the sheet feels to you. They use alot of trickery in marketing the sheets. Recommend checking out Perfect Linens who sells sheets according to how they feel. Sheets from Perfect Linens for more answers (my friend works for them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House