Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
Ok . I thought why to create a new topic and create a junk out there.. So i would rather ask here.
I am curious to build a custom house of my own.
Are there any good builders in Saskatoon who will build a custom built house?
Start here:

CHBA Saskatchewan - Find a Member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Builders build generic homes because they are cheaper to build. Not becasue people do not prefer custom homes. Custom homes are much more expensive, especially if you use quality materials. If you use the same junky materials and designs the builders use, it is not much more expensive, but then you get a junky generic home. May as well buy a mass produced model. Custom homes are not good investments. They are not worth as much more as they cost. Thus, it is a better deal to buy a pre-owned custom home. You lose the ability to customize it to your personal tastes and design, but that is a premium for rich people.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
In a place as cold a Saskatoon I suggest a post and beam framed home sheathed in Structural Insulated Panels.

My druthers would be to build a really big prefabbed barn (60 x 80 ft. or so) with water, sewers and partial electrical installed covered with SIP's and then slowly divide the interior into rooms as needed. It would have at least on 12 ft. wide door so I could bring in my cars and work on them. Who needs a custom home when you have a great shop?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
...I suggest a post and beam framed home sheathed in Structural Insulated Panels.
Do you "hear" how ridiculous this is?
Why would you use TWO structural elements and one insulating element?

SIPS probably is the best construction method for that region- but that wasn't the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House