Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Most new glass doors are a couple of layers think, so are really strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
This is only "my" opinion...if someone wants to get into your home they will get into your home!! You have plenty of other windows in your home. Why would someone even consider going in the front door in plain sight of anyone in the neighborhood? I just refuse to let myself be worried over what "might" happen. Life is to short to live it that way. I like to live as safely as possible but refuse to let fear control me!!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
This is only "my" opinion...if someone wants to get into your home they will get into your home!! You have plenty of other windows in your home. Why would someone even consider going in the front door in plain sight of anyone in the neighborhood? I just refuse to let myself be worried over what "might" happen. Life is to short to live it that way. I like to live as safely as possible but refuse to let fear control me!!
BINGO! That's kinda-sorta exactly what I said a few posts back.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Guess I missed your post. Just went back and read it. We think alike!!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Guess I missed your post. Just went back and read it. We think alike!!

Yeah, it's that 'great minds' thing.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:33 PM

176 posts, read 1,146,496 times
The only thing to do different with a door that has a glass window is to put in a deadbolt that is keyed on both sides.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
I think the idea is that they can see in very well with a glass front door (unless you have a covering for nighttime).

A lot of my neighbors have them, and when I walk my dogs at night, I can see right into their homes. I can see they're in front of the tv, etc. These are the decorative/leaded-look doors and I can't "see" the people's faces or whatever (and I'm only walking by, I'm hardly even "looking"), there's some obscuring, but more can be seen than I'd be comfortable with.

Also, if a solicitor - or a criminal posing as a solicitor - knocks on your door and you go to check the door, you can't exactly pretend like you're not home, they see you .

It goes on and on, but it's a personal choice, and I personally would not choose to have such a sensitive area compromised in any way (don't be fooled, plenty of break-ins happen at front doors).

And again, if you have dogs, your previously uninterested dog may become very interested in all the goings-on outside and start to drive you crazy....something to think about - it's a "window" at every dog's level.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 AM

16 posts, read 69,440 times
As one of the previous posts said, the entry-door glass is much stronger than we normally think it is. Having said that, just for a peace of mind, I put security films on my entry-door glass. It prevents the glass from being broken and gives me privacy at the same time.

Just my 2c.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Double lock where it takes a key for both sides. It's a little bit of a pain in the butt but it is a little safer. If someone wants in they will get in. Get an alarm if you want the most secure feeling.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I LOVE how they look from the street however I have more then enough light at the front of my house, each of the three windows in the front have half round windows above.

I think it would bother me even if the glass was etched and people could not see through.

I have glass block over my bathtub and I put sheers over that even though you can't see directly through it. Our neighborhood has a peeping tom, or did as far as I know and I guess I am nervous.

One of these days I was planning on getting a screen door over the front door, you can take the screen out and put in the plexi glass, that way if I wanted to have it open I could, if not then I could close the metal front door.

Check out the doors that Larson makes, they are VERY pretty and come in a couple different colors as well as styles, it would give you the best of both worlds, keep your solid door AND have the convenience of opening it up for more of a view or a breeze.

Welcome to Larson Storm Doors

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House