Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:41 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,804,100 times

Advertisements

The older I get, the more I am glad we have a rambling ranch (2400 sf). At one time, I wanted a 2 story colonial with pillars out in front. However, my knees are thankful that I don't have to go up and down everyday on stairs. Also, much easier to move large pieces of furniture including 2 big grand pianos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 08:39 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,867,474 times
Lived in a split foyer for 10 years and moved to a ranch home. I would never go back to a split level again.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:32 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,563,625 times
Not a fan. I just don't like them...no real reason beyond that.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:35 AM

571 posts, read 556,828 times
Ah, how architectural terms are so fluid.

Split entries, or raised ranches (not common term around here) are popular. The only style that seems to have held out since the mega mansion took over. Around here people like them because it lets them have a somewhat usable basement. Most around here have a bedroom on the lower level which is often occupied by the family teenager. In a pinch, some people have even rented it out. The style makes a lot of sense where you have hills, you can save money on the basement costs. Some also have a third story , so it is really a three level house.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:54 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,872,974 times
Like everyone else has said, that house would be a raised ranch in my area. Split-level would be where you walk into a lobby area and then have to go up or down.

Re raised ranch: Not my cup of tea. I would never deal with entry stairs again. I had them when my family was young and carrying things (groceries, children, helping small children or aging parents) up and down those stairs was so inconvenient. Add ice & snow = no.

re split-level: No. I don't like the choppy lay-out. And the lobby area really seems like wasted space. Also, if you have any kind of injury, stairs are bad. I'm getting ready to sell my colonial (only one flight of stairs) for a ranch for that very reason.

I'd carefully check re-sale value. In my area, the split-levels and raised ranch always go for less than the colonials. However, they could very well be a reason to buy one---you can get into a great neighborhood at a reduced price in my area.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:35 PM

633 posts, read 576,953 times
I have a 8 level split believe it or not.

Have a crawl space around four feet below grade level, then a den/laundry around two feet below grade area, attached garage at ground level, florida room three steps up from garage, main floor a step up from there, then two beds, one bath up from there, the master bedroom up again, then on top the attic.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:28 PM

14,193 posts, read 14,556,677 times
While no expert I have had 2 homes that have levels:

1. You walked in the front door and were confronted with about 4 steps up to one level which had 3 beds, two baths, living room, dining room, kitchen, door to a screen porch. 4 steps down and you had a bathroom, laundry room, bedroom, den, entrance to a two car garage. I called this a split entry. I liked this arrangement as the lower level was my son's area.

2. You walked in the front door and you were in the living room. 4 steps down to dining room, kitchen, den, 1/2 bath, laundry room. 4 steps up to 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. It had a detached two car garage. I called this a tri-level.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:56 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,032,663 times
I grew up in a 5 level house. Walked up a few steps to the front door, which opened onto the main floor with kitchen/LR/DR, down a half flight to family room/den/powder room/garage, down another half flight to the basement including laundry. Heading up from the main floor was up a half flight to master BR/master BA/2nd bed/2nd bath and then up another half flight to a large attic bedroom.

It felt like a nice open floor plan at the time, although now I can't imagine having that many stairs between the bedrooms and the laundry. I'm not opposed to stairs, I'm in a traditional 2 story with a basement, so I'm still up and down stairs multiple times a day, but not as many as a 5 level split!

to the OP, if you don't have stairs once you are inside, that doesn't sound like a split level so I'm kind of confused? But split level houses were very common where I grew up and people managed even with a broken leg (most of the time, you can get up and down stairs on crutches). Obviously it would not be a home for someone who was permanently unable to walk, but I don't know that it makes sense to limit yourself to houses that meet worst case scenarios and not what your current life involved.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:18 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,643,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
This is the type of split level house I'm considering:

That's a high ranch. Or in some regions a raised ranch.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 PM

23,877 posts, read 32,152,257 times
If you are talking about a TRUE split level - (a side split level) I am a fan.

In a side split (usually just called a split, because they were the most common type) You walk into a foyer, to one side is the LR, behind it, a dining room, straight ahead, the kitchen. Up about 5 stairs a full bath, and usually 3 bedrooms.

Back to the foyer, if you go down about 5 other stairs, there is a large finished family room, a 1/2 bath, and a back door to the patio area. The family room is not "below grade". In the higher end ones, there was another staircase to an unfinished basement. There could also be another bedroom or office.

I think they have a somewhat open floor plan. Generally, hardwood floors, and a cathedral cieling. Most of them had large picture windows in the living room.

I have never encountered a dark or dreary split level. Another aspect that I like, is the grade level family room. I lived in one from 1959-1966. My parents starter house. In the summers when we were playing at one another's houses, we could enter through the the back door if we wanted to play indoors - or use the bathroom - without encountering a parent.

I think it's a great layout for younger families. Our next house was a "stately colonial" (my parents term for it) It was not nearly as spacious "feeling" nor as conducive to children - or teens - as was the split.

There are other types of splits California, Front to back, and Colonial Splits.

This is a good link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-level_home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House