Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,925 times

Advertisements

Good info. Where do you find easy-off ceramic stove top cleaner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
We have had one for 12 years and just use the razor scrapers and the cooktop polish cleaner.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 841 times
Is there a spray cleaner for a ceramic cooktop to use prior to using Cerama Bryte or a polish?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:34 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucilu View Post
Is there a spray cleaner for a ceramic cooktop to use prior to using Cerama Bryte or a polish?
I just use a degreasing spray cleaner, after scraping any dried/cooked on spills/drips with a razor blade. I then use the ceramic cleaner/polish along with the razor blade (for missed spots), for the final cleaning.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I have a smoothtop, but it's glass, so I'm not sure if I have the same type you do, but I use Weiman's Glass Top Cleaner and it works great.

I do clean it after each use. If you don't, then you're cooking the stains into the top the next time you turn on the stove, so I just clean it after each use. It seems to be working, it still looks brand new except for one small spot where some egg fell onto it during cooking. The egg left a spot that I have never been able to get off, but it's small, so only I notice it.

My top is black, like the whole range, but it has a mottled grey finish that helps too. If it was solid black only, then the stains might show more.

Once the stove cools, I use a non-scratch sponge (dedicated for this use only) with just a nickel-sized bit of Weiman's, rinse with the sponge and buff with a clean piece of papertowel.......works well and I like that it's always clean .

p.s. I should be this neurotic with cleaning the rest of the house!
I use Weiman's too. However, if there is grease on the top, I wait until it cools and scrub the surface with a sponge soaked with soapy water. Then I wipe the soap/water off the top with a small towel. Once that's done, then I apply the glass cleaner in a circular motion, just like when waxing my car. I let it dry for several minutes, and then remove it with a dry towel or cloth.

By the way, I try not to get the glass cleaner right on the outer edges or the glass, since the cleaner on the black silicone seal is a little difficult to remove.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 7,228 times
Default Razor

Sometimes only an easy-does-it wor-kover with a very good rigid razor blade scraper will get stuff off. I had some really unsightly blotches and bumps on a new glass cooktop. It seemed like the wiping just made the blemishes bigger. Whatever the cause, the blemishes grew. I was sure the glass was defective then as a last resort, I took a razor scraper to it. Wow.

So far, after about a month, I really miss the old coils. They were tough, I could easily replace them as need. I'm on pins and needles with this glass thing.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:47 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
We have good success with Cerama Bryte. Yes there can be some effort, at times, and that is caused by how the bottoms of your pan make contact with the ceramic top. Total flat bottom pans, those without any indentations that make 100% contact, no air space, give the least amount of problems.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:31 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
I really hate this technology. But it's getting shoved down my throats by the Builder. I like Function over Form technology but this is Form over Function technology.

You won't see this in Gordon Ramsay's kitchen.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFM001 View Post
Sometimes only an easy-does-it wor-kover with a very good rigid razor blade scraper will get stuff off. I had some really unsightly blotches and bumps on a new glass cooktop. It seemed like the wiping just made the blemishes bigger. Whatever the cause, the blemishes grew. I was sure the glass was defective then as a last resort, I took a razor scraper to it. Wow.

So far, after about a month, I really miss the old coils. They were tough, I could easily replace them as need. I'm on pins and needles with this glass thing.
I'm just redoing the kitchen and, although not as 'pretty' or supposedly as modern looking, ordered a coil one to replace a smooth surface one.
Was going to switch to gas but the gas company quoted me $1700 just for the hook up/tank, etc.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I use Barkeeper's Friend for the stubborn marks; otherwise just a drop of dish soap on dish cloth and a swipe with a microfiber cloth to dry it to a streak-free shine.

As an aside, I appreciate my cooktop. I have never understood why flat-top ceramic stoves are so despised. It works just fine, and, yes, I've used other styles of cooktops, including a very nice gas stove in a previous home. It's easy to keep clean, it's fume-free, and it's can double as a little extra counter top when space is tight, like when I'm unloading groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House