Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Funny that all the naysayers live in areas that don't get much snow. I shoveled my driveway quite a bit this last season. Which is easier, electric, or hot water. I'm leaning towards electric. While it may be two to four inches every other morning it's better than what happens if you don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Well it is true that NoVa rarely gets snow, but it's cold. So when it does snow several feet it can stick around for weeks. A little bit melts every day, and re-freezes every night. During the winter of 09-10, 2 storms dropped over 4 feet in a week. We had drifts in the front yard until April.
actually, i never have any issue with ice....i have a sloped driveway....when i shovel the snow off the driveway, i usually have clear (non-icy) driveway from then on. so, i'm not too woried about the ice aspect.

MrWillys, i agree, i think i'm leaning towards electric too.

Anyone, any idea as far as costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Look at this:
Heated Driveways, Snow Melting Systems | WarmlyYours
You can damn well bet that when I place mud it will be heated. I shovel for my families safety, and the sidewalk for my neighbors.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
thanks for the thorough analysis Sherlock!
Well you asked if it was going to be worth it, I guess that's really a relative question.

Is it cheaper than paying the neighborhood kid to shovel your driveway? No
Is it cheaper than getting a little exercise instead of paying $50 to go to the gym? No
Is cheaper than buying a snow Blower? No

The key to any driveway and ice is first to make sure it drains properly and secondly is get the snow off of it before it gets packed down.

For me to do this first we need a new driveway. $$$
Pex becsue I have coal boiler $$$ for the pex.
Need a heat exchanger. $$$
Many gallons of anti freeze.$$$

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
actually, i never have any issue with ice....i have a sloped driveway....when i shovel the snow off the driveway, i usually have clear (non-icy) driveway from then on. so, i'm not too woried about the ice aspect.

MrWillys, i agree, i think i'm leaning towards electric too.

Anyone, any idea as far as costs?
Ugh, our place there faced East and was on an slight Eastern slope. Morning melt, afternoon freeze. Nasty conditions would last for weeks. Didn't help that there were a couple of large oak trees to the South.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM

double-delete

Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
well, i agree with you in that water heating makes little sense....but what about electricity? .
3X the fuel costs over natural gas. I have had people look into this using coal which is the very cheapest form of heat you can have it never adds up to being practical.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Funny that all the naysayers live in areas that don't get much snow.
I get plenty of snow where I live, certainly more than him. I have a hundred foot driveway and the chepest heat you can have.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Have you ever been to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. There are webcams that show their streets. They have used the hot springs to run underneath their streets to keep them clear and they get a lot of snow.

http://pagosa.com/webcams/

I am just wondering how the cost of a warmed driveway would compare with the cost of a snow blower or the cost of having someone do the blowing and at what number of inches of snow this would not work? Otherwise, go for it.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have a hundred foot driveway and the chepest heat you can have.
That might be your perception, but it's my understanding fracking is bruising you? So, is there a coal fired system for heating his driveway? My guess is it is cooler here on average than where you are? I'm 35 miles from the coldest average low in the 48. Coal, oil, gas, or electric, the thread is about heating driveways.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
That might be your perception, but it's my understanding fracking is bruising you?
Close but no cigar, I've seen this movie before. As of right now per million BTU:

Anthracite Coal - $9.38
NG - $12.12

The coal is about $180 per ton delivered. It's going to cost him more becsue of the shipping but there is lot of people there using it. He could get soft coal local for about $60 per ton but not advisable for home heating especially if you want to remain friends with your neighbors. This is really only an option for those in the northeast close to the source for anthracite.

Quote:
So, is there a coal fired system for heating his driveway?
Anything you could possibly imagine is available; boilers, furnaces, inserts, hand fired, automatic stokers.... $12K antique basburners. Need a custom 1 million BTU boiler? That can be arranged.

In this case you would need a boiler and they start at about $7K but these are one time purchases that are going to last your lifetime. With that kind of investment you'd want to heat the house with it and do domestic hot water, unless you were going to run anti freeze in the whole system you'd need a heat exchanger too. I know lot of people have used them for their pools and I've seen the driveways discussed but by the time you install the concrete and the pex... $$$$. For me I'm not even looking at what the cost of the fuel is, it's the cost of the installation that is the kick in the teeth and I already have the boiler.

Quote:
My guess is it is cooler here on average than where you are?
I'm in PA, the highs are just below freezing in winter. Gets down to the single digits usually a week or two each year in total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House