Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times

Advertisements

That sounds about right a heat pump is one of the cheapest ways to heat until the temps drop below the balance point which is usually around 32º+/- a few degrees depending on your system. Have you thought about a humidifier? If your inside temps are a little chilly to you but you don't want to bump the stat up any a humidifier would make a noticeable difference in comfort and you may even be able to turn the stat lower and still be comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM

I wanted to add some info for feeling cold @ 72º......The main reason folks tend to move there stats to a warmer temp during winter is the total amount of moisture than can be contained in the air when outside temps. are colder than summer temps is much less. Relative humidity is defined as the amount of humidity in the air as opposed to the maximum it can hold. When cold winter air infiltrates your home and mixes with your conditioned air the relative humidity is quiet a bit lower. For example this summer 72º in my place with 50% RH was comfortable to me. I couldn't get the relative humidity any lower without a dehumidifier. Now that's it's cold outside my relative humidity levels are in the 30-40% range which is a significant amount difference and 72º will feel cooler to me than it did in the summer. Your body requires evaporation to cool itself you may not even know your sweating because it evaporates immediately but you always sweat as a means to keep your body temp from fluctuating. With lower humidity that sweat evaporates more readily. This is most apparent when it's really humid outside and it feels nasty to you. Then the same outside temp with lower humidity can be more bearable. Just thought I would add that in so you know why a humidifier makes sense. Just the opposite is true for summer time if you can get your relative humidity levels lower in the summer you can usually bump the temp. on the stat up some because you "feel" cooler.....Even if the dry bulb temp. is the exact same. Latent heat or humidity contains a good bit of "hidden" heat.

Also sometimes vents are aimed towards the t-stat....make sure this isn't the case. If you can adjust where the throw goes make sure it isn't aimed towards the t-stat and that the t-stat isn't on a wall where heat would be transfered into it. Sometimes the stat is mount on a wall that is next to the mechanical or air handler room and the heat from the water heater and HVAC system transfers through the wall and effects the t-stat operation. This is most notable though by having another thermometer in the house that reads much lower temps than what the t-stat is reading.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Next up we have some info for an air conditioning/heating purchase to get system efficiencies and other information from the leading authority on HVAC testing and certifying. You may notice this sticker on any piece of equipment you will purchase in the US as they certify them. You will need the model numbers of the equipment you are planning on purchasing:

ARI Directory of Certified Product Performance (broken link)
This is the explanation of how those numbers are figured(warning technical and long)
http://www.ari.org/NR/rdonlyres/CE3D72C1-1D53-432B-A3E0-BD0FE39DAB6A/0/2102402006.pdf (broken link)
(This is also the standard that is used to certify your HVAC/R equipment)

Tax credits
Department of Energy - Tax Breaks
The ARI website has changed to ARI Directory

Also the tax credits have stopped for existing homes at the end of 2007

"Improvements must be installed in or on the taxpayer’s principal residence in the United States. Tax credits for improvements to new homes were extended until December 31, 2008, however tax credits for improvements to existing homes ended on December 31, 2007. Tax preparers can assist with determining whether home owners qualify when they prepare their income tax statements."

Old 04-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That sounds about right a heat pump is one of the cheapest ways to heat until the temps drop below the balance point which is usually around 32º+/- a few degrees depending on your system. Have you thought about a humidifier? If your inside temps are a little chilly to you but you don't want to bump the stat up any a humidifier would make a noticeable difference in comfort and you may even be able to turn the stat lower and still be comfortable.
Balance point can be much lower it's a variable that depends on the system and it's design.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
It takes a lot of heat to convert water into water vapor. Adding a humidifier is the same as adding a swamp cooler. They are essentially the same device.

An unvented propane cooktop or catalytic heater will add moisture and heat. On really cold days, I'll open a couple of burners on our cooktop when I get up, to take the pressure off the heat pump.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
BigJon - just wanted to thank you for taking the time to put this info together and share it w/ us! Terrific job - thank you so much!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It takes a lot of heat to convert water into water vapor. Adding a humidifier is the same as adding a swamp cooler. They are essentially the same device.

An unvented propane cooktop or catalytic heater will add moisture and heat. On really cold days, I'll open a couple of burners on our cooktop when I get up, to take the pressure off the heat pump.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/BigJon3475/pha1.gif (broken link)

Approximately 970 btu's for 1 lb of water....and it doesn't even change temp....just state....latent heat of vaporization.

Great info I always suggest monitoring your humidity it's your enemy in the summer and your friend in the winter.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Although it's not directly related to energy savings since the rest of this thread has a lot of HVAC literature and IAQ goes along with that here is a nice guide talking about it.

The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality
The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality | Publications | Indoor Air | Air | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Improve5 - broken link)

Also a little more information about miss-matched systems:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mismatched Systems.pdf (131.5 KB, 1002 views)

Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 AM

If your system normally sees 105ºF+ regularly you will need to compensate if you are changing from a R-22 system to a R410-A system to keep the same capacity at those higher temperatures. The capacity of R-410 systems drops a little faster than previous R-22 system's as the temperatures rise above that. A link to an application experience from D. B. Bivens, J. R. Morley, W.Wells DuPont Fluoroproducts.

"
The system capacity at the Critical Temperature is around 60 – 70% of that 35°C (around a 10% greater drop than R-22 experiences over the same temperature range). The rate of performance reduction with increasing condensing temperature is a function of system design."

R-410A – Why is it such an Interesting Refrigerant Fluid

ºC to ºF conversion calculator if you need it

Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter

It won't effect most folks but I know there are some folks in AZ TX and other areas around there that see those temps. Make sure your HVAC contractor can account for the capacity loss when your designing a new system with him.

Some other backup sources

http://www.arti-research.org/researc...10-2-final.pdf (http://www.arti-research.org/research/completed/finalreports/50010-2-final.pdf - broken link)
http://www.fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/bu...PDF/b02186.pdf
http://refrigerants.dupont.com/Suva/...pdf/k05738.pdf

Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-08-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House