Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,602,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
So the fault for the mistake lies solely with plan check? Does the Architect, contractor, or even the onsite engineer have any responsibility? Really, the buck stops with the Architect, and your example sounds extreme. We just did a ADA upgrade at Alta Bates Ashby campus and had a wonderful group of people.

I just refuse to think of the glass as half empty, and will always have a place in my heart for the bay area. I just think of how lucky the both of us are for being able to spend our working years there. When I see how families here in Nevada struggle with lower wage and benefit jobs it makes California a great place.

I try not to name names, but have you worked with Herrero? Also, cities wouldn't mandate gutter color, that would be an HOA, and that's a choice.
The new wing was a Dedicated Surgery Center and the conflict was between the Building Department and Fire Services... it's ironic that the plans as submitted by the Architect were the final as-builts...

The problem was the Building Inspector had different ideas after construction started... he required a third scrub sink in one area which meant the entire sterile corridor and sub-steril had to be reconfigured... this was after the two were already in as per plan.

Fire Marshal had a problem because the change required reversing door swings... in the end, we were told to go back to plan as originally approved... Building is city and Fire is County

I would never advise anyone to do anything illegal... my only point is getting permit approval and final inspection does not mean there can not be problems even when the owner has followed the procedure to the letter.

I have friends that own a ranch between Pleasanton and Castro Valley... because they are AG... it was very simple to add a barn and outbuildings... another friend has 4 acres on Palomares and he has been trying to build a simple barn identical to the neighboring rancher and because he is not AG... it will cost nearly double.

As to the color of the gutters... this is Oakland's Montclair District and 100% city because there is no HOA.

It falls under design reveiw

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/gr.../oak035210.pdf

I really shouldn't complain about the complexities because it is job security for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,290,945 times
Btw, i got an estimate from a few people for the addition......it came down to a choice: contractor 1: 11,700 not including the foundation or the garage door. They included everything to get the job done. Contractor 2: 15,900 not including the foundation, door, or painting the garage.
Contractor 1 is NOT licensed and insured, but said "they have an agreement with their friend to use his insurance for the jobs they do..."....hmm....interesting!
Contractor 2 is licensed and insured. Both contractors have done good work for me and my family before. Contractor 2 is also taking out my trees (2 tall pines) for 1000 total including the roots.

Anyway, i think for 4k more, i'm going to go with contractor 2. he seems to know what he's doing....more so than contractor 1.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,847,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
contractor 1: 11,700 not including the foundation or
Contractor 2: 15,900 not including the foundation...
Why would you even consider a quote that did not include the foundation?

Old 07-12-2013, 03:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,465,902 times
I was thinking the same Mr. Rational. At least where I live - NE Florida - "a solid foundation is the key to your home". We have issues in various areas here with muck (and places with those issues have to be demucked and filled before putting in a foundation/building). But people in other geographical areas in the US could have issues with stone - or building on hills - or in areas with mud-slide potential - etc. - etc.

I don't understand why the OP would consider not getting a permit - or using an unlicensed contractor - unless he lives somewhere in the rural boonies of the US (like "Deliverance Country"). I live in a pretty small county in NE Florida - and it has all the fancy tech stuff that other people have described in terms of identifying new construction. Not to mention that I think our building department is really good. We built our house - and it called our builder out on a few things in the course of construction. Building codes and enforcement are there to protect my safety - and the integrity of my house - and that's what our building department did IMO. Also - FWIW - we are an *extremely* red part of the world. Doesn't mean we want our houses to be built lousy . And - since I went through Hurricane Andrew (disruptive and costly for me) - well I think good building codes and good building code enforcement are . Robyn

Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 PM

17,465 posts, read 65,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Ya think?
But hey, we've moved on to garage doors. So screw the foundation, as long as the garage door is the right size and purrrrrrrty who cares!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,865,423 times
Just watched an episode of "Flip Flop" on HGTV, where a couple purchased a bank repo to fix and flip. They discovered an UN-permitted room addition. To get it permitted and legal to sell, they would have to submit a complete set of plans to the city planning dept and go though the whole process.
Estimated time was three weeks to get permits, and $20,000.00. Until the permitting process was completed, they could not do any work on the home.
They opted to tear the room down. After demo work, putting in a slider, and everything else to make it correct, it cost $6000.00. That was the cost just for repairs after removing the room, not the remained of the home.. By removing square footage, they also lost value on reselling the home. Not a very good gamble....

Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,300,666 times
Quote:
Well......
I went to the permits office and applied for a permit. I wasn't going to do it but after reading some of the comments, i was convinced to do so. I really hope i won't regret it. I really hope they won't give me too much trouble through the process....but looking at the list of inspections that they have, i'm already starting to question my decision. there are 4 inspections before concrete is even poured!
If it makes you feel any better, I would NEVER buy a house that had any illegal "improvements" done to it. And doing things without permits and inspections is illegal.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,290,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Ya think?
But hey, we've moved on to garage doors. So screw the foundation, as long as the garage door is the right size and purrrrrrrty who cares!
Because i have already selected a different contractor solely for the foundation.
ps. do you guys ever wait for the answer before jumping on people and assume they're stupid?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,277,302 times
Quote:
ps. do you guys ever wait for the answer before jumping on people and assume they're stupid?
Funny, because I assumed you'd broken it apart. These guys jump to conclusions to make themselves feel superior to make up for self esteem issues. Go figure, and I'm sure they'll pounce on my comment.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:37 PM

17,465 posts, read 65,926,979 times
Quote:
...do you guys ever wait for the answer before jumping on people and assume they're stupid?
There was no assumption on my part. I read, try to comprehend, then execute an intelligent response based upon what I read.
Remember, this thread was titled "...should I get a permit"- YOU SAID IT, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House