Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 AM

501 posts, read 933,611 times

Advertisements

Am getting ready to finish the rec room of our home and want it to be a combination game room / movie room / rumpus room / etc.

Have a couple questions about the home theater system:

1) What are most people doing with home theater receivers these days? It used to be you had a big cabinet filled with electronic equipment. Today, all we have is a home theater receiver connected to a computer. I know what to do with the computer, but what do people do with the receiver? I'm thinking I should stash it in a closet somewhere so it is out of sight.

2) How much ventilation do you need if you stash them in a closet? What are the options?

I'm planning on routing speaker cables and data cables in the wall to minimize clutter in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,539 times
I guess I'm still old fashioned and I keep mine on a stand in a corner of the room while my TV hangs on the wall.

Also, if you're running the wires behind the wall, have you though about the recessed speakers? I put them in my wall and in my ceiling and they have worked very well so far. I like the look better than mounting normal speakers on a wall shelf or hanging them from a bracket. Just an idea...

Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Is this a guy's idea of a home theater - or a woman's (or a designer's) ?

Also - I recently had to disconnect/reconnect our whole system when we were doing an interior renovation job. Reconnecting all the speaker wires was a big PITA. Have you considered wireless speakers (I don't know anything about them except I wouldn't have to work with all those teeny tiny knobs and wires)? Robyn

Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Receivers are still usually kinda front and center because of the IR remote. But there are "eyes" and extension cables that can make "remote connections" (Eye front and center- receiver hidden in cabinet, clst, etc.

Then there's Bluetooth (a form of RF) and other RF type remotes that may interface or convert for "wireless operation".

As far as ventilation- if you were to use a clst the gap around the door would probably suffice for air. But a cabinet may need some supplemental air via cabinet fans- much like the ones used on desktop computers.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
I have a 7 speaker surround sound home theater setup. All the operating, receiver, dvd, vhs, cassette equipment is in an enclosed custom cabinet with air vents at the rear of the cabinets for cooling.
I tried the wireless speakers and after 2 days took them back. They are not as efficient or as good of sound quality as the wired ones and those wireless speakers have to be in direct line with the main speaker with no obstructions.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
All of my home theater equipment (audio, projector, etc.) is in the room behind the actual theater. I use an IR remote extender that receives in the front of the theater and flashes across the equipment rack in the back room.

The audio amplifier equipment I have in a rack that is only open on the front and since it does generate a good amount of heat I have a thermostatically controlled fan but it rarely operates. Leaving some clearance around each unit, especially above, usually allows adequate circulation.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Here's what our unit looked like when we first installed it - it's a setup for people who hate exposed wires :

Living Room | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The cabinets contain a receiver - a DVD changer - a DVR. And now a new smaller CD disc changer (the old one was too big to fit in the cabinets - and it's in the left in the photos). The cabinets have a channel that runs across the back of the cabinets. So it's easy to run cables/wires from here to there. The only component that generates a lot of heat is the receiver - but the cabinet is open when it's on - so that isn't an issue.

It's a 5.1 system (the rear speakers are in the ceiling - wired through the wall/ceiling - the center speaker is wired through the wall) - and the sub woofer is to the left of the unit (again wired through the wall). With 2 speakers on the back porch (wired through the ceiling). When you run wires/cables in the wall/ceiling - be sure to leave lots of extra slack!!!

And - if you want connectivity between rooms in terms of anything (from music to video) - best to look into everything new that's available today to achieve those connections before completing your designs. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House