Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,939,179 times

Advertisements

If you liked what the government mandated for light bulbs, toilets, etc. you might get a kick out of new ceiling fan rules... more expense with questionable benefits.

Regulations.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:52 AM

17,701 posts, read 29,776,387 times
Default Some good, some bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
If you liked what the government mandated for light bulbs, toilets, etc. you might get a kick out of new ceiling fan rules
1. There are no new rules. There is a 100-page doc that I skimmed that asks for industry input in creating new rules.
2. One company, http://www.fanimation.com/ , appears to be opposed to any new rules. I cannot really determine why. I think it is because some of their "decorative" fans don't actually do anything useful. It appears from my reading of the EPA proposal that they plan to exempt decorative fans.
3. I understand your feelings about light bulbs and toilets, but how about: refrigerators and washing machines? Energy Star was a useful driver in my opinion. And, my new, cheap ($98 USD from Home Depot) 1.2/1.8 toilet works fine. Light bulbs will be a non-issue in 5 years.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,472,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. There are no new rules. There is a 100-page doc that I skimmed that asks for industry input in creating new rules.
2. One company, Fanimation | One Complete Revolution® in Ceiling Fans , appears to be opposed to any new rules. I cannot really determine why. I think it is because some of their "decorative" fans don't actually do anything useful. It appears from my reading of the EPA proposal that they plan to exempt decorative fans.
3. I understand your feelings about light bulbs and toilets, but how about: refrigerators and washing machines? Energy Star was a useful driver in my opinion. And, my new, cheap ($98 USD from Home Depot) 1.2/1.8 toilet works fine. Light bulbs will be a non-issue in 5 years.
Somewhat OT - but why will light bulbs be a non-issue in 5 years?

And why would a decorative fan be exempt from the rules? Seems to me that something that does nothing except use energy should have the most stringent regulations. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 07-14-2013 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Default LEDs, zero functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Somewhat OT - but why will light bulbs be a non-issue in 5 years?
And why would a decorative fan be exempt from the rules? Seems to me that something that does nothing except use energy should have the most stringent regulations.
1. LEDs will change everything related to light bulbs. And, they will be cheap.
2. Read the 100 pages.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
1. LEDs will change everything related to light bulbs. And, they will be cheap.
2. Read the 100 pages.
I'm not going to read the 100 pages - because I don't like fans in general - and wouldn't buy one that's merely decorative. Perhaps you could hum a few bars for people whose interests are different than mine?

With regard to LEDs - you're probably not interested in lighting design (or in any profession that has anything to do with it). I don't know how many LEDs I currently own (maybe 25-30?). They work fine. For bathrooms - task lighting in home offices - stuff like that. They are 100% awful when it comes to decent mood lighting in living areas - especially those with dimming systems. LEDs are currently - in general - notoriously bad ---> awful when it comes to dimming. I've been told that they'd work better in areas with dimmers if I got new LED dimmers But I estimated the job - and it would only cost about $2k to redo all our dimmers (parts and labor). GMAFB . And just FWIW - the "can" LEDs I'm seeing today are now about $10 more per bulb than they were a year or two ago. So I don't see the cost going down a huge amount in the near future.

And just FWIW - about 75-80% of our electric costs are for HVAC - and probably another 15% for things like hot water and non-lighting electric costs. If I saved 100% on our lighting costs spending thousands for more new bulbs and dimming systems - well I might save a big $15/month. At age 65 - I'd have to live in this house until I was about 90 or so to break even. Don't think that's going to happen. Doesn't make sense to me from any POV (aesthetic - financial - or otherwise). Robyn

Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Default More data

Quote:
With regard to LEDs -
1. ... They are 100% awful when it comes to decent mood lighting in living areas
2. ... And just FWIW - the "can" LEDs I'm seeing today are now about $10 more per bulb than they were a year or two ago. So I don't see the cost going down a huge amount in the near future.
1. I have seen these in action. https://www.meethue.com/en-US Great!
2. Moore's Law.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,431,553 times
Something else along those lines, in many cities a permit is required to install a ceiling fan.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
1. I have seen these in action. https://www.meethue.com/en-US Great!
2. Moore's Law.
I'll believe Moore's law in light bulbs when I see it. What I see in the stores today is "new 100 watt energy efficient light bulbs" (at lower wattages than the old ones) at 3-4 times the old prices. In all honesty - I couldn't care less about the cost of light bulbs - but I am an above average income consumer - and it matters a lot of a fair number of people. Robyn

Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM

Default I read about it every day

Quote:
I'll believe Moore's law in light bulbs when I see it.
I surf to DIGITIMES daily IT news every day.
Just one example:
Quote:
Philips has launched new-generation 7W, 8W, 10W and 13W LED light bulbs in the Taiwan market at retail prices of NT$399 (US$13.3), NT$399, NT$499 and NT$599 respectively, according to Philips Taiwan.
The light bulbs are 40% higher in brightness than omni-directional LED bulbs of the same wattage offered by other vendors as measured in 3-meter down-lighting distance, Philips Taiwan cited testing by the Taiwan Electric Research & Testing Center as indicating. In addition, the new Philips light bulbs consume about 20% less power than models of the preceding generation and have passed IEC 62471 photobiological safety of lamps and lamp systems certification, Philips Taiwan said.
Philips new-generation LED light bulbs have service life of about 15,000 hours, equivalent to use for about 10 years, Philips Taiwan indicated.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM

These are the bulbs I've been buying:

Philips 19.5 Watt (120W) PAR38 3000K (Bright White) LED Flood Light Bulb-423426 at The Home Depot

The bulbs they're replacing used to cost about $7 - and lasted for about 2 years in areas of high use. So it will take me 10+ years to "break even". Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House