Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Worst advice EVER right there. Yeah, do that if you never ever want your kids back AND you are fine with siblings being separated.

My kids have never had to live more than an afternoon without electricity (and maybe 2x total in their lives) but I can say with certainty that even living without electricity is preferable (for THEM!) to dumping them voluntarily into the system. Yikes. What an idea!
I'm not sure it is a bad idea. No electricity = an inability to get homework done, freezing during winter. What future do you think the kids have under such circumstances?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,143 times
Make friends with your neighbor & buy a Kill A Watt meter & put it in their outlet so they can bill you for your power use. You should be able to get 15 amps of power from them through a good extension cord that way. It will run a fan, charge cell phone, power computer, TV & refrigerator. You could run the washing machine if you unplug the refrigerator for that 20 minutes. If you have a gas dryer it could be powered if refrigerator is off. Same with microwave. If you have gas you could still cook on stove & oven. Or if you need more power run 2 extension cords from neighbor form 2 different outlets of theirs on different circuits.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm not sure it is a bad idea. No electricity = an inability to get homework done, freezing during winter. What future do you think the kids have under such circumstances?
First of all, it is July. No one is freezing. Second of all; kids don't need computers for EVERY homework assignment and when they do, there is the library. Then again, most kids are off for summer anyway so that is moot.

Third, the CPS can of worms can never be undone. They are not going to just 'help' and then hand the kids back once the parent(s) have the crisis situation solved. To stir that pot for what is most likely (if as described) a TEMPORARY situation is foolish beyond belief. Especially when there are most likely other options and like I said, we're talking about a temporary problem here.

All of this is theoretical anyway; OP never said s/he did or didn't have kids.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
First of all, it is July. No one is freezing. Second of all; kids don't need computers for EVERY homework assignment and when they do, there is the library. Then again, most kids are off for summer anyway so that is moot.

Third, the CPS can of worms can never be undone. They are not going to just 'help' and then hand the kids back once the parent(s) have the crisis situation solved. To stir that pot for what is most likely (if as described) a TEMPORARY situation is foolish beyond belief. Especially when there are most likely other options and like I said, we're talking about a temporary problem here.

All of this is theoretical anyway; OP never said s/he did or didn't have kids.
Temporary situation-get real! $2k is not magically going to appear. In all liklihood, the unpaid amount is going to accrue interest and penalties, God knows how fast $2k becomes $3k.

I'm not saying it is not a heart-breaking choice, but it is the same choice millions of parents made during the Great Depression, with the same permanent affect.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Temporary situation-get real! $2k is not magically going to appear. In all liklihood, the unpaid amount is going to accrue interest and penalties, God knows how fast $2k becomes $3k.
And? Life is not over because there is no power. Think outside the box here for a minute. It's not either/or -- pay $2k to $3k or live in darkness forever. OP may move, perhaps in to a private rented room situation, an extended stay hotel, a new place that is all bills paid. Or move and get electricity at a new place in someone else's name. They at least have a job so there is a light at the end of the tunnel because there is still money coming in to work with. They could simply stop paying rent, which would result in eviction, but in the meantime would also allow them to save up even more money for one of the other living options out there.

Worst case scenario they could head to a shelter and in that case still have their family intact!

Quote:
I'm not saying it is not a heart-breaking choice, but it is the same choice millions of parents made during the Great Depression, with the same permanent affect.
Permanent, as in psychological and emotional damage, difficulty trusting anyone, huge potential for abuse and neglect, higher likelihood of criminal behavior... ? vs. Living for a bit in a less than ideal situation with the only parent(s) or sibling(s) you've ever known vs living with strangers, possibly going into a group home if they are older!? You really think it is better for the child to go with option A? What kind of future do you predict for that child? What kind of life did kids abandoned during the Depression end up with?

Good grief, this is not a discussion of having no choice but to abandon your kid or watch them starve to death.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Just visited a childhood friend that lives 8 miles on a gravel road in the Santa Cruz Mountains... they have no electricity, internet or TV because they are far off grid.

Had to see for myself... very modest cabin with a propane stove, refrigerator and water heater plus a wood stove for primary heat that often doubles for cooking.

They have lived there together for 8 years and said they would never want to live anywhere with power again...

Definitely not the norm... it works for them and he has a good job as a long haul trucker and can't wait to come home after being on the road.

As to no power... since you are renting, it is most likely a breach of the rental agreement not to have utilities.

As to A/C... none is required by code in my State... heat has definite requirements and cooling has none.

I would think refrigeration would be problem number one plus fire hazards created when those accustomed to electricity improvise.

$2000 utility bill is the real problem... it indicates an ongoing chronic condition... I live in an average single family home and typical electric bill averages $1.50 a day.

Assistance is out there... many utilities will offer a balance payment plan and significant discounts for low income.

Utilities can make mistakes... although, it doesn't seem to be the case because power just not just get turned off overnight.

What about family, friends or your church...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-17-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Next.........RELIGION has NOTHING to do with this topic and I am NOT looking DOWN on anyone I simply stated no one should expect anyone to bail them out. They should be responsible enough to do what needs to be done to take care of themselves and their families.

Since you did bring up the topic though I believe it has been stated that:

GOD helps those WHO HELP THEMSELVES.

Let's not forget one very popular saying as well, "In GOD we trust, everyone else pays cash".

Not paying any portion of the power bill and not getting a second job, doing without luxuries and learning how to handle one's finances better is NOT helping themselves now is it?

Again, without full knowledge of the situation and how it got to be in such dire straights this is a best guess with the current information provided.
I have been in a very similar situation to the OP, years ago. I worked literally seven days a week to pay off a bill. And at another time I lived with no water heater for over a year because I didn't have the money to have a new one installed. I had two small kids at the time, one was only an infant, and had to boil water on the stove for baths, cleaning, etc.

I learned how to manage my money better. My income was small, and I learned that I was living beyond my means even though I lived in a very small house and driving a ten year old car. So I moved to a trailer which I hated, but it was cheap enough that I was able to save some money, put myself through college, and improve my situation in life.

The OP's electric bill didn't go from zero to $2000 in one month. The time to make arrangements with the electric company was the first month the OP wasn't able to make the full payment. Then arrangements or a payment plan would have been possible.

So I am not unsympathetic to the OP's problem. But when you get yourself into a hole it requires work to dig yourself out. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. It really is true.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,143 times
Quote:

Kids do best when kept with their parents. This situation will be a great motivation & learning experience for the whole family.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
After reading nearly all of this thread my first thought is how did the OP let it get this out of hand. When you first realize that you cannot pay the electric bill for the current month, you call them and make arrangements. They will work with you! Not just sit around and not pay anything! This is ridiculous. Rent and utilities should be the first bills that are paid. What's left is for food and necessities. Then figure out how you can get more money coming in or reduce the bills you do have by moving in with family or a cheaper place. Sitting and doing nothing is just crazy. I have no sympathy for this person if in fact this
is a legitimate post!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Thread Closed for review...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House