Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Sink stinks of rotten food?

Turn the faucet to trickle a little water then turn it off. Pour-in some baking soda into the sink's drain, followed by a cup or two of white vinegar. Bleach kills everything and can produce dangerous fumes if mixed with certain detergents. If you have a septic system, it's a real bad idea to pour bleach in the sink. But vinegar does not kill the digesting bacteria in the septic system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Sink stinks of rotten food?

Turn the faucet to trickle a little water then turn it off. Pour-in some baking soda into the sink's drain, followed by a cup or two of white vinegar. Bleach kills everything and can produce dangerous fumes if mixed with certain detergents. If you have a septic system, it's a real bad idea to pour bleach in the sink. But vinegar does not kill the digesting bacteria in the septic system.
I tried this recently after someone told me about it. Also, I was told to wait awhile and then Pour in boiling hot water at the end. I think all the frizzy sound from the soda/vinegar was cool but no idea if my drain got any cleaner, but then I didn't have a bad smelly problem to start with.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
If you have a buildup of fabric softener in your clothes, put vinegar in your washer's final rinse. Don't panic when you take the clothes out and they smell like a pickle. They won't once you dry them.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
I have the best recipe for homemade cleaner. I used to love Simple Green, but this is just as good and much purer and cheaper. I read that whatever gives the SG that smell, is not good for you.

1 C white vinegar
1 C warm water
4 Tablespoons castille soap
1-2 teaspoons Borax
5 drops Lavender, Lemon and Pine. ( I don't have any pine, and suppose you could use any you like. Clove, or Peppermint would be nice) Many of the essential oils have anti-bacterial properties.

Add the warm water to borax in spray bottle, shake to mix well, then add rest of ingredients.

VERY IMPORTANT that you follow the directions, or it will clump and separate.

Try this, it's fantastic!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
For getting the smell out of laundry, you might try adding baking soda.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I tried this recently after someone told me about it. Also, I was told to wait awhile and then Pour in boiling hot water at the end. I think all the frizzy sound from the soda/vinegar was cool but no idea if my drain got any cleaner, but then I didn't have a bad smelly problem to start with.
Vinegar and baking soda help with the smell-causing bacteria. That's why a lot of people place a small box of baking soda in the refrigerator. The bubbling actions of the vinegar/soda mixture sort of penetrate the slime on the drain pipes at the sink. All it does is to make the sink smell better for a few days, just like the chemical pads sold at the local stores.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-21-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I like to use vinegar for cleaning. I have found if you set out a bowl of vinegar it will help deodorize a room and it will not smell like vinegar. This is supposed to work well for people who are smokers. I am not a smoker so have no idea.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
If you have water stain in your toilet this works i did not soak all the water like he did

How To Remove Hard Water Stains From Toilet Bowl - YouTube
For a problem like this - I'd suggest a pumice stone on a stick. Works with water stains on other bathroom stuff as well. Robyn

Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
I cannot stand the smell of vinegar but I still use it on some things. It works well on the shower tile water spots, it unclogs hard water deposits on shower heads and faucets, and a 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar mixture does an amazing job cleaning up spills on furniture. The smell does go away.

I like to use lemon juice on some things too, and I have scrubbed my shower with a lemon (cut in half) dipped in baking soda with amazing results. Plus it smelled way better!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Don't panic when you take the clothes out and they smell like a pickle. They won't once you dry them.
Really? I did panic and rewashed the blanket before putting it in the dryer! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I like to use lemon juice on some things too, and I have scrubbed my shower with a lemon (cut in half) dipped in baking soda with amazing results. Plus it smelled way better!
I want to try this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House