Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 AM

396 posts, read 1,851,270 times

Advertisements

What do people do to protect a shed in the backyard? Sheds are not places that are checked everyday, especially in the winter time. Seems like someone could easily break-in and squat there unnoticed for a long time. Do home owners check their sheds on a routine basis for theft break-ins, critters, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
I had a 12' x 16' shed at my old house in PA. It came with the house. It was a really nice shed which must have cost the previous owner a big chunk of change. It had double doors with a keyed doorknob that matched the house locks. So, I just kept it locked all the time, even thought I had a fenced yard and two big dogs. Plus, it had motion-activated spotlights mounted on it, which were great, as they lit up the entire backyard if anyone or anything came in.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
I have an 8x16 shed in my backyard, about 30' from the house. My lot is 1.29 acres so there is a LOT of space further back from the shed. I am often in the back yard in the spring/summer/fall (mowing every week or two) so would quickly notice any intruders. In the winter, where I live it would be pretty clear from footprints in the snow!

My current lot is WAY more private than the "regular" 1/4-acre lot of my last house. There, houses were close enough together that it would have been very obvious if anyone were squatting in the shed.

These days the only thing I worry about are critters burrowing under the shed. So far that hasn't happened, but I may put screening around it just in case. The shed itself locks, and there's a motion-detector light on the part of the garage that faces the shed, so I'm not too worried about humans.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
My shed is also inside of the fence.

There are plenty of other sheds around that are easier targets...... where someone wouldn't have to gamble on getting bit by a dog.....so I think mine is pretty safe.

Even so....I have the doors padlocked.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
What do people do to protect a shed in the backyard?
Sheds are not places that are checked everyday, especially in the winter time.
Seems like someone could easily break-in and squat there unnoticed for a long time.
Do home owners check their sheds on a routine basis for theft break-ins, critters, etc?
Just buy a house.
You shouldn't need to squat or break into sheds to have a home.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
What do people do to protect a shed in the backyard? Sheds are not places that are checked everyday, especially in the winter time. Seems like someone could easily break-in and squat there unnoticed for a long time. Do home owners check their sheds on a routine basis for theft break-ins, critters, etc?
No shed here... but I would think that if you are concerned that someone would live in your shed, you would adequately secure it with locks.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
Quote:
What do people do to protect a shed in the backyard?
You could put your shed in the garage for safekeeping.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
Not sure that squatters in a shed would have the same rights as squatters in a house. Could probably just have them arrested for trespassing. Dad just stuck a padlock on our shed, more likely someone would try to steal tools. A motion sensitive outdoor spotlight works well too.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Ours is inside of our privacy fence. We don't even close the door, it slides, because our dogs go in there if we leave them out more than 5 minutes. I'm sure they'd let us know if someone was in there. For the most part all that's in there is pool chemicals, pool parts, and gardening tools. Anything of real value is in the garage. That being said I feel we live in a safe neighborhood, and I really don't worry about it.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,596 times
Our shed is inside a fenced yard and locked, I would KNOW if someone had been by it in the winter.

Nothing of any real value you in there anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House