Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times

Advertisements

I'd want walls made out of something much stronger than gypsum drywall. With a handicapped spouse around, I need something that would stand up to a direct full-body hit from a fall much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
cement slab. i tile well.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM

16 posts, read 81,844 times
Default wish list

- Deep garage so that you can pull in without having to worry about hitting the back wall.

- Solid floors and walls that provide a sense of privacy and prevent sound transmission.

- Lots of storage.

- Attractive landscaping where the kids can play.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The one reoccurring item was the front porch- go figure. Can't "live" on a porch- always exposed to the elements. Can't dance in the buff- scare the neighbors. It a conversation area for 4 months outta the year (at least in the south).
Don't get me wrong- I love the old porches that were on bungalow style houses. But if I were building and the most important thing was...
It wouldn't be a porch.
It would be something that will pay me back.
A saying that I used when meeting potential homeowners- "No matter how many houses you build, your last house won't be your last".
I love my wraparound porch. Our builder suggested not having a porch to save money, and we said no way. We use it constantly - almost year round, except when it's below freezing or over 90 degrees, which leaves a lot more than four months for usage. Even when the days get over 90 degrees, the evenings are usually cool enough. It's a great place to watch the birds and other critters, listen to a nice rainfall, and just hang out. The happiness we get out of it is more than enough payback.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Porches do provide a very nice transition zone so you can enter and leave the house sheltered from precipitation. Guests can knock on the door without standing in the rain. Your doors and windows don't take the full brunt of the weather and sun. They make a house more welcoming.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I use my porch year-round as well, even sit out on nice winter days. It faces southwest, so the only weather that prevents me from using it is a violent storm, a hot, humid afternoon, or a blanket of snow.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,344 times
Now that I have a nice 3 season porch I can understand the allure!

The one thing that I'd want above all else is a full basement. No contest.

2nd would be solid walls - plaster by preference but I'd consider other options.

3rd would be some form of non-forced air heat. The house I'm in now is the first I've ever owned with hot water heating and I absolutely love it! So much quieter and not as likely to dry my eyes out.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
I would want a house that is very open, has good lighting, and is very sustainable (environmentally-friendly materials), excellent on energy use, and would lend to a fair degree of self-sufficiency (not dependent on the electric ompany for power). I also like the idea of house that can be partially open to the outdoors and where you can walk out from parts of it and be in different types of gardens. Definately lots of trees and water features.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
30 SEER water furnace or 23 SEER Nordyne/Frigidaire/Maytag

Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,823 times
screened porch
walk in closets in every bedroom
spacious laundry room with folding table & sink!
dual sinks in master bath (hmm..a his & hers baths would be very nice
A great view
solid floors (no creakin' allowed!)
a library with builtins
good insulation
energy efficient everything
a double sided fireplace
hardwood floors
granite counters
trees & more trees
one of those great walkin showers

When can i move in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House