Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times

Advertisements

PS it's also very unfair to the dogs, that is the last thing they'd want to live in the middle of, and if they come in, they are contaminating your house.

Why do you even have dogs if you're too lazy to clean up after them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
The house is a co-worker's home & yard that's being used for our summer social gathering of employees and vendors. Company picnics at parks are overdone, so we are holding it at a house this year.

One employee offered to host (knowing his yard and house would get cleaned up): The company is reimbursing for the prep work to get the house & yard ready, and they paying for carpet cleaning afterward.

At this point, we are considering having a landscaping company finish the yard clean-up ... whether that's just mowing repeatedly, organic chemicals, and/or watering.
So does this co-worker get to live in his home, while you have your social gatherings there? I'm wondering how long his dogs have to be exiled from their home.
Is this an office thing, church thing, AA meeting - and why so many kids? If it's once a week or so, just rent a facility that suits your needs.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 1,951 times
I know this is an old thread, but just in case it is of help to anyone... If there's an event, the more lead time the better for getting it up. It is true, you'll likely have some little pieces and a bit of bacteria in the yard no matter what you do - you may just want to warn guests that the "3-second-rule" does not apply (anything that drops cannot be eaten no matter how quicly it is picked up) and that shoes should be checked and hands washed when coming in from playing in the yard. Honestly, for folks who refuse to let people in the yard, etc., consider the fact that anytime you've been in a public place, your shoes pick-up all kinds of stuff, so these are just good practices anyway.

When I'm picking-up the poop (I have two GSDs, so they aren't small!), I actually use those disposable nitrile gloves. I find it better than using the bag folded over my hand - much better control (including the ability to get pieces out that are kind of stuck in the grass) and avoids those surprise holes. You can get them just about anywhere now, but I usually get them at Costco, BJs, or Sam's since they're very inexpensive that way and they will last a long time as long as they aren't left out in the sun and rain. Important tip, though, don't let small kids see you do it this way! My 2-year old watched me - doesn't understand the concept of gloves yet - and decided to "help" me pick-up the poop. ;P

Last edited by EHER; 08-04-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 10:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Shop vac

Anything you cannot get that way, spray with an intense blast form the hose or even a pressure washer until it disintegrates. Then I suggest getting some sawdust or cedar chips sprinkle them about liberally and work them into the grass.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:10 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Shoe trays by each door with clever signs over them. That terrifying, unsanitary, uncontrollable, germy, dangerous outdoors stays there.

Kidding. What's on the ground outdoors doesn't worry me much. I know how to clean things. Every time you step your door you'll get exposed to something.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:12 PM

408 posts, read 259,690 times
Use disposable food grade plastic gloves. The ones that come in 500 to a box. Pick up the poop and put it in a plastic grocery bag. Double bag it so the trash people never have to handle it.

Of course, I had a couple of Bichons and not any baby elephants. Here in Colorado, with the low humidity, the poop was petrified after a few days.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:33 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Pick up, water the heck out of it, and hose in what you can still see.

I think it will be good and most people will be fine with that, but I live on a farm. People walk and sit outside here all the time near where animals have pooped and live to tell the tale. Even kids.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
You are going to have children playing and eating in this yard......you better have them all sanitize their hands....or they will get sick. Nothing to fool around with.

OOPS....event has happened. Hope everyone is ok.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:13 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Is this is joke?

Pick up all of it, hose it well a couple of times before the event (while keeping the dogs out), let the sun dry it thoroughly...

and then cover the whole thing with a few inches of wood mulch. Yes, that would kill the lawn. But nothing else will work as well for putting a barrier between long-saturated poopfests and people’s bodies.

Sounds like the owners do not pick up the poop every day, but even if they did, the poop and pee soak into the soil and eventually make it stink. While stink is not the same as “dangerous germfest”, it sure makes a poor background for a food-based party.

Dog poop is far worse than horse or cattle poop.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
There's a gathering next weekend at a house and its backyard (outdoor BBQ and games). The backyard is where the dogs defecate. Lots of feces all over the backyard. Can remove most of it with a shovel. However, there will be remains and missed small chunks. Guests & their children will walk all over the yard and then come inside the house. The will track feces through the house. Removing shoes or using hospital booties isn't practical. Plus, many kids and adults will sit in the grass and simulataneously eat finger foods.

The dogs will stay at relative's house until after the big event. How can a home's backyard grass be sufficiently "sanitized" of the left-over feces? Mow the lawn very short/multiple times? Runs the sprinklers 24/7? Power wash the grass?!
I know this is old...But simply pick it up. With a bagged hand. Probably need to keep a bigger bag/box with you. I'd actually do it once a week and if I missed Garbage day I'd throw the box in the fire pit, coat with some diesel and torch it.

How many dog/How big of a yard? Unless you have many large dogs, or several in a small backyard, it's not that big of a concern. If the dogs don't track feces into your house, what makes you think people will?

To your mowing question, yes with the mulching cover attached. Start high, do it again the next day a day lower, the third day a day lower...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House