Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times

Advertisements

In the interest of saving space in my laundry room I am looking at the all in one combos, washer/dryer in one machine. Has anyone had any good experience with these? It makes perfect sense to me, that's what a dishwasher does, wash and dry in one machine. I don't see why we need two machines to do this anymore. I found this one below used, but there are many others on the market.

Haier hwd1000 washer dryer all in one
Haier hwd1000 washer dryer all in one white excellent on eBay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
They are supper small.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
You mean the capacity? We only have myself and husband at home now anyway. I guess that is a consideration for resale...

Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Seek answers elsewhere

Miele WT2780 - Washer Dryers| Miele UK

ZKN7147J | Washer Dryers | Zanussi | Products | Laundry

High quality.

Hair is cheap Chinese crap. They will get better, but are not equal to the Euros.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Even the top of line euro machines are a lousy way to do laundry. They don't have effective drying cycles.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Here's the primary issue I've always seen with combo units whether it's TV/VCR or washer/dryer in this case. When something breaks if it's no longer fixable you have a half operational unit making both of them useless.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
I had an Ariston washer/dryer 20 years ago and it was awful, the dryer took forever to get the clothes anywhere near dry and when they came out they were very wrinkled. Eventually the dryer part broke so the washing machine was unuseable.

I would advise against it, if space is limited maybe look at an apartment size washer dryer stacking duo ?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
In the interest of saving space in my laundry room I am looking at the all in one combos, washer/dryer in one machine. Has anyone had any good experience with these? It makes perfect sense to me, that's what a dishwasher does, wash and dry in one machine. I don't see why we need two machines to do this anymore. I found this one below used, but there are many others on the market.

Haier hwd1000 washer dryer all in one
Haier hwd1000 washer dryer all in one white excellent on eBay!
I realize you are trying to save space. Is it impossible to fit both a small washing machine and a small dryer in your space? If not, I recommend buying a simple one of each, no frills, minumum bells and whistles. The more bells and whistles the shorter the MTBF. Something basic. Make sure the dryer is large enough for one full wash load. HOT, WARM, COLD, LARGE, MED, SMALL is all all a person ever really needs on a washing machine. Standard brands on sale: GE, Kenmore, Whirlpool etc.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I used to have one in Germany many years ago, and loved it. I also use one when I go overseas for vacation.
They are such a space savers, and you don't need to transfer your laundry from one machine to another. That means you're going to program only one machine to do the complete laundry/drying process. You load the unit, set up and leave. When you come back everything is dry, no need to transfer.
However, please make sure you get one with the fastest spinning process. That will make a huge difference in drying time and your energy consumption. 1200 RPM is a minimum, but I would rather pay more for a faster unit.

Haier is considered a cheap brand in Europe and is indeed very small - 1.7 CF/1000 RPM. The reviews are not good either. You buy this unit and you will think that ALL washer/dryer 2 in 1 combos are as bad.
http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HWD1000-.../dp/B000QFGY7C

However I am not sure how this concept would work in the US, because here rarely someone has a problem with a space, and everything has to be big to consider to be good. Any combo sold in the US will be too small to accommodate a queen/king size comforter. Germans don't use comforters that size. That's probably the biggest item you would want to wash.

Otherwise, for smaller households this is a great combination.
According to Consumer search reviews this is the best unit:
Best Washer-Dryer Combos | Top Picks and Reviews at ConsumerSearch 3.6 CF is not a small unit.
'The best washer/dryer one piece combo available to date' - LG WM3987HW - washer/dryer - front loading - freestanding - 27" - white user review and rating - CNET Reviews
Other brands:
http://goo.gl/b5Vd0N

(To compare: The AEG LAVAMAT TURBO L16850A3 you can buy in Germany has 1600 RPM, loads 15.5 lb dry laundry, has many programs and features, water/energy saving, wrinkle-free etc.)
I agree with davebarnes that the European units/brands are way superior, fancier and more efficient than what you can buy here in the US.

Last edited by elnina; 07-31-2013 at 10:19 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
We have a stackable washer/dryer and it works better than the one in our home. We had it in one of our apartments, I bought it because I didn't like the one they rented at the apartment complex, and when we moved I put it in our shop and hooked it up there. The dryer gets REALLY hot and the washer does a good job of getting even our greasy shop clothes clean.

No experience with all in one units, but I can't imagine they are any good.......generally, anything that does two jobs does neither one particularly well.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House