Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM

28 posts, read 63,221 times

Advertisements

We are moving into our new home by the end of this month. while doing appliances research some people mentioned that refrigerator leakages has ruined their wood Floor.

Can some one tell me what precautions would be good ?

I am thinking of putting a carpet below the fridge

putting a pan below the water pan (for some reason if refrigerators water pan leaks it will get collected to the pan I add)

Any more suggestions ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:36 PM

23,517 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Just a square of sheet flooring remnant would be more than adequate. Carpet wouldn't be as good because the moisture can migrate through it. The pans don't leak, IME.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
The "leakage is condensation on an exposed "cold" part of the refrigerator. I suggest inspecting the works and recover any displaced insulation. That should stop the dripping. Put the refrigerator on some kind of rollers of sliding device and check and clean it coil in the back every year.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
The majority of most "leaks" can be attributed to water supply lines for icemakers/water dispensers.

Especially solid copper lines when the fridge get pushed and pulled a lot. The newer poly (nylon reinforced) lines are much better. But only for one-time use. Once the line is disconnected it should be discarded. The rubber washer that is inside the connector is compressed and therefore unreliable.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:14 PM

28 posts, read 63,221 times
Thank you. I will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just a square of sheet flooring remnant would be more than adequate. Carpet wouldn't be as good because the moisture can migrate through it. The pans don't leak, IME.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:18 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,896,329 times
If you look around online, you should be able to find plastic refrigerator floor drip pans.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just a square of sheet flooring remnant would be more than adequate. Carpet wouldn't be as good because the moisture can migrate through it.
What happens when moisture gets trapped UNDER the sheet vinyl?
Carpet just does the same thing- it holds moisture.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
Listen to a former landlord -- 99% of "water coming out of the fridge" is the direct result of someone not SHUTTING THE DOOR! What happens is the refridge tries to cool and DEHUMIDIFY warm moist room air. That causes the condensate pan to overflow. If you have the fridge properly leveled, don't overload the shelves with giant pans / cakes or stuff things into the door bins that block it from closing that only leaves training the family to shut the thing. Seriously. Had hardwood in all my own kitchens. Problem free. Tenants that know better no problem. Tenants that can't figure out how to shut get sheet vinyl...

Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 PM

23,517 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What happens when moisture gets trapped UNDER the sheet vinyl?
Carpet just does the same thing- it holds moisture.
The experience I have had is that there can (rarely) be times when the pan overflows a little. The total amount of water or liquid appears to be less than a half cup at most. The sheet vinyl will keep that moisture on top. If there was enough to puddle outside of the vinyl on the floor, I would know enough to go "Hmmm, better move the refer out and see what is wrong, lift up the vinyl and check." Please don't tell me I'm the only one smart enough to do that.

Although... I just had to buy a new refer for a tenent. The doofus from the management company had bought a used refer and never bothered to check for a pan at all and it was leaking constantly on the floor until I wrote out the realities. The unit worked for about eight months and a couple weeks ago pfft. I ordered a new one from Lowes w/ an additional 2 year warranty, and if the maintenance guy puts his mitts on it, I'll go down with a hammer to break his fingers.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:24 AM

49,970 posts, read 63,287,500 times
I would not worry about it as long as everything is working as it should. I had a malfunction in which the water going to my ice maker stuck on and ruined the floor in front of the fridge. After that, we safeguarded against this by manually turning off the icemaker when the bin was full. Its a simple habit to get into, and its worth it for the piece of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House