Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,227,286 times

Advertisements

I have been going through a long, drawn out kitchen remodel that keeps presenting frustration and challenges, the latest being the wall oven I purchased not fitting in below the cooktop. I tried to slide in the wall oven, but it started bumping up against the cooktop when it was about 75% in, raising the cooktop.

For those of you who know about kitchen remodels or carpentry, can the cabinet platform be modified for the wall oven to fit underneath the cooktop? What can be done short of buying new appliances?

I chose the appliances before I bought the cabinets and I had no idea there would be compatibility issues, where only certain wall ovens fit below certain cooktops. The kitchen designer asked me for specs (dimensions) of the wall oven and cooktop before the cabinets were ordered. I'm not sure if that was to make sure the wall oven would fit underneath the cooktop or to make sure both would fit in the cabinet company's box.

How should I approach this with my kitchen designer? What's a win-win situation for both of us? Even though I had no idea about the compatibility of the cooktop and wall oven dimension wise, especially relating to height, I would have appreciated knowing that it wouldn't have worked out with the cabinet company's boxes. Then I could have gone out and bought a new cooktop or oven or perhaps chosen another cabinet manufacturer.

At this point, financially, it would make the most sense to find a fix to make them both work. Should I ask the kitchen designer to have the cabinet installer find a fix.

The reason why I chose a wall oven underneath a cooktop was for esthetics and being able to select the best individual units vs an all in one slide in or free standing range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:02 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Just to clarify, who speced and ordered the cabinets?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 AM

The kitchen designer spec'd and designed the kitchen with a computer aided drafting software program and placed the order.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Should not have bought / built cabinets without full dimensions...

Maybe cabinet can be modified or new oven acquired if local dealer has a policy to deal with this.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:19 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Three more questions:

1. When the designer asked for the opening size, did you give the basic height width, depth dimensions or did you give the dimensions from the appliance’s installation spec sheet?

2. Are the openings in the cabinet matching the dimensions provided (basic or spec sheet) or are they not the dimensions provided? (example - is the depth equal to what was provided throughout the opening)

3. What is causing the collision betwen the two? (have you tried installing the oven followed by the cooktop to see if the obstruction is cleared)

Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 AM

I gave the designer the model numbers of the wall oven and cooktop. I also typed out the product dimensions from the manufacturer's website. When the cabinet installer was installing the cabinets, I gave him a more detailed printout from the manufacturer's website that had specs on cutout sizes. He did a good job cutting out the cabinet box width wise to make room for the wall oven. I don't know what exactly is causing the collision between the two. The oven sides in fine and then right after it's 3/4ths of the way in the cooktop gets raised, so the cooktop is too deep for this oven. One solution would be to buy the same brand cooktop as the wall oven, however, I do not like that brand for cooktops. I chose separates (wall oven and cooktop) to be able to have more control/options in choosing the best separate pieces. I haven't tried installing the cooktop after the oven, but if the cooktop itself is too deep, I don't think that would make a difference. The bottom platform/base probably has to be "shaved" somehow.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Why would you want to put a wall oven under a cooktop? Why not just get a regular stove then?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why would you want to put a wall oven under a cooktop? Why not just get a regular stove then?

Having one contiguous countertop looks so much better than a slide in or free standing range, where food can get in between the part where the countertop meets the range. Plus, I can choose the best cooktop and oven, whereas in an all in one unit I can't.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Except for the sticky part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Having one contiguous countertop looks so much better...
Except that most cooktops are not designed to have an oven mounted below them. oops.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Except that most cooktops are not designed to have an oven mounted below them. oops.
The owners manual of the wall oven indicates that you can have a cooktop with wall oven underneath, and they specifically indicte that any of our brand of single wall ovens will work below any of our cooktops. More and more design magazines and and remodels I see in photographs, have a cooktop with a wall oven underneath. Even the owners manual of my wall oven gives instructions on placing it underneath a cooktop. My new kitchen was designed to where there is no obstruction in the countertop by a normal height wall oven. Looks a lot better esthetically in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House