Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:53 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

Almost 5 years ago we retired and moved across the U.S., bought a home and then began to replace and update the house. We bought all new kitchen appliances at BestBuy....we bought a 5 year warranty that covered all the appliances. Last December (over 4 years into the warranty), our top of the line LG dishwasher began to leak.....The Geek Squad came out, ordered parts and fixed everything. This year our GE glass top electric range started shutting off and flashing error codes. Again everything was fixed (basically the circuitry board was replaced).

About 3 months ago our top of the line Whirlpool counter-depth fridge started staying on all the time and running loudly....compressor issues was the diagnosis. The Geek guys tried twice to fix it...it cost about $2500 almost 5 years ago. On our third service call, our fridge was declared a lemon. Today our new fridge was delivered (equal replacement appreciated value to our broken fridge ..$2900).

We chose the highest rated LG French door fridge with a 10 year compressor warranty. Love it.

Needless to say the 5 year warranty proved to be a wise $500 investment (the cost to cover all the appliances).

By the way there are only two of us in this home and our appliances are gently used and well taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
We just added a repair/replacement service plan through our electric (or gas??) company. It's a bit spendy, a little over $50/month, but if they have to repair or replace one appliance the policy pays for itself. Our appliances are 18 years old....

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Cattknap, that is really interesting! At my old house when I remodeled the kitchen in '09 I bought a new gas range, a new French door counter-depth refrigerator, and a new dishwasher. I only bought an extended warranty on the refrigerator since it was really expensive (the other extended warranties cost almost the same but for appliances that cost 1/4 what the refrigerator cost). Haven't had any problems with any of the appliances (I am renting that house out now), but I didn't want to take a chance on the fridge.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Almost 5 years ago we retired and moved across the U.S., bought a home and then began to replace and update the house. We bought all new kitchen appliances at BestBuy....we bought a 5 year warranty that covered all the appliances. Last December (over 4 years into the warranty), our top of the line LG dishwasher began to leak.....The Geek Squad came out, ordered parts and fixed everything. This year our GE glass top electric range started shutting off and flashing error codes. Again everything was fixed (basically the circuitry board was replaced).

About 3 months ago our top of the line Whirlpool counter-depth fridge started staying on all the time and running loudly....compressor issues was the diagnosis. The Geek guys tried twice to fix it...it cost about $2500 almost 5 years ago. On our third service call, our fridge was declared a lemon. Today our new fridge was delivered (equal replacement appreciated value to our broken fridge ..$2900).

We chose the highest rated LG French door fridge with a 10 year compressor warranty. Love it.

Needless to say the 5 year warranty proved to be a wise $500 investment (the cost to cover all the appliances).

By the way there are only two of us in this home and our appliances are gently used and well taken care of.
All I will say is this if your experience were more common, warranty costs would increase significantly. Warranty companies and insurers make healthy profits.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
All I will say is this if your experience were more common, warranty costs would increase significantly. Warranty companies and insurers make healthy profits.

The truth is his experience is extremely common, consumeraffairs.com has 1000's & 1000's of complaints, so does Facebook as well as the Better Business Bureau. Fortunately he had enough foresight to get the extended warranties cause those who didn't you should read their cries of woe. Nothing is built to last anymore regardless of the brand, their complaints are evident.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:03 PM

The price of a 5 year warranty for the new fridge is $500.....substantially more than the cost was 5 years ago. We seem to have gotten 3 appliances that barely lasted 4 years without major issues....G.E.Profile, Whirlpool and LG.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
When we redid our kitchen appliances several years ago, the only thing we got the extended warranty on was the $1,200 dishwasher for about $149. It is a nice quiet SS unit; we barely know it is running! We passed on the separate refrigerator and freezer, gas cooktop, microwave, and double oven. It was worth it for us also as they came out 3 or 4 times for repairs. The soap door would not open during the cycles and it would not drain totally. They ended up replacing the soap dispenser twice and I think the pump. Since we had the issues, they also ordered a new touch pad control panel for us since the plastic on it was cracked. We were concerned the panel would get wet inside and stop working. But the service guy told me to just keep using the old panel until it finally quits on me. So far, so good. And I have a $160 replacement panel ready if it goes out. Oh, and no major problems with the other appliances yet. The ice maker drips water a bit, making an icicle, and I had to replace a $10 plastic fan under the refrigerator, but I can repair that kind of stuff.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Truthfully I have bought appliances twice in last 14 years for two homes and none went out in five years. I still talk to the people who bought our last home and appliances from 1999 still working fine with one 125 dollar repair to defrost circuit on Frig.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
The truth is his experience is extremely common, consumeraffairs.com has 1000's & 1000's of complaints, so does Facebook as well as the Better Business Bureau. Fortunately he had enough foresight to get the extended warranties cause those who didn't you should read their cries of woe. Nothing is built to last anymore regardless of the brand, their complaints are evident.
I've moved around a lot and have bought LOADS of appliances for our residences and rentals. This has not been the case with us. The extended warranty would have paid off exactly zero times.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
This.

I've moved around a lot and have bought LOADS of appliances for our residences and rentals. This has not been the case with us. The extended warranty would have paid off exactly zero times.
You are missing the point. There are many many people who have had endless problems with their appliances. As suggested do some research......customer complaint boards are endless. When a consumer is spending many thousands on appliances for their home, it makes sense to consider purchasing extended warranties...at least on the more expensive items.

We bought appliances with lots of extras and I think there is more potential for problems with all the bells and whistles than there is for rental grade appliances. Had you bought our appliances without an extended warranty, you would probably be one of those unhappy people on those customer complaint web sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House