Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
if cost is not an issue, I would choose LEDs over CFLs. Typical 60 watt bulbs are about $15 each at costco/home depot/lowes.
I have tried both. Was satisfied with neither. The light that they emit is ugly.

CFLs are quite hazardous too. I would not recommend employing them in a home that has children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM

452 posts, read 709,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't use the bare spiral CFLs. My son injured his eyes a few days ago.

Photokeratitis from merely looking into the top of the lampshade for the briefest second.

It was super painful and took a couple of days for him to recover. Sometimes there can be permanent damage too.

I am furious these bulbs are being pushed on us and there aren't even warnings on the packaging.

Here is information about the risks and which segments of the population are most at risk.
Yep, Idk if anyone's addressed this, but, there are warnings that if you break one, call such and such a number. Well, my neighbor called that number and the HAZMAT team closed down our stinkin neighborhood and brought in a contamination crew to clean it up!!

I use regular light bulbs. They don't have side effects

Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Yep, Idk if anyone's addressed this, but, there are warnings that if you break one, call such and such a number. Well, my neighbor called that number and the HAZMAT team closed down our stinkin neighborhood and brought in a contamination crew to clean it up!!
That's hardly the recommended course of action. You do need to be careful because they have mercury in them, but so do the fluorescent lights that are in nearly every office and school.

snopes.com: CFL Mercury Light Bulbs

Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
That's nuts. I broke a thermometer on our carpeting. I didn't do the best job of cleaning it up. Nothing happened to any family members or pets, and I didn't replace the carpeting until 15 years later. It is important to take it seriously, but HAZMAT is overkill.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I have tried both. Was satisfied with neither. The light that they emit is ugly.

CFLs are quite hazardous too. I would not recommend employing them in a home that has children.
good led's emit a nice white light. not sure what brand you used or if they were those cheapies but no way is the led light ugly.

we just did an led retrofit job for a famous church here in nyc and they look fabulous.

we are re-doing Bronx Lebanon hospital and albert Einstein medical center with them as well and both look just great.

I like Philips the best but maxlite, tcp and Sylvania make very good products

Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
good led's emit a nice white light. not sure what brand you used or if they were those cheapies but no way is the led light ugly.

we just did an led retrofit job for a famous church here in nyc and they look fabulous.

we are re-doing Bronx Lebanon hospital and albert Einstein medical center with them as well and both look just great.

I like Philips the best but maxlite, tcp and Sylvania make very good products
Thanks for the guidance. I'll pick up a Philips when I'm at the Ace H/W next, and give it a shot.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,634 times
I do not care for these light bulbs and the artificial light they give off. I agree with the other posters about these being forced on us. Very frustrating. I had some years ago and one exploded on me. Little did I know at the time is that you can get mercury poisoning from it. I cleaned it up and didn't realize there was a proper way to clean it up. I remember after it happening my dad sending me a link about the dangers of mercury poisoning from the light bulbs and a women who had one break in her infants room. I guess now is the time to stock up on incandescent bulbs.

Charlie.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM

The time to stock up was more than a year ago. They are in very short supply and a whole lot more money.

We are out of most incandescents at this stage and can't get anymore from our suppliers.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
I'm a tight wad, and I love cfl's. My neighbors leave their porch lights on all night, but I shut everything off. We have all cfl's in our house.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 PM

I don't own one and i am in the business. They are awful light sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House