Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM

563 posts, read 1,778,920 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to replace all the trim around my bedroom doors, as well as all the baseboard throughout the house. can someone confirm the order in which this should all happen? Correct me where I am wrong:

1. Remove all baseboard and trim
2. Add new trim around door first
3. Add new baseboard

My question was around #2 and #3, wanting to make sure i do it in that order. my thought was, if i do the baseboard before the door trim, then i may have to remove the baseboard that butts up to the door trim again, which i don't want to have to do.

P.S. - yes, i will be roller painting all the trim/baseboard pieces prior to installing them, i believe this is much easier/quicker than doing it after it is installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Yes; casing first then base board.

Painting prior to install is a good option, but by the time you're finished handling it, cutting it, nailing it, and caulking/puttying- you're basically repainting the entire thing anyway.
One other thing- use a brush not a roller. A roller will leave the finish orange-peeled where a brush won't.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,524,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A roller will leave the finish orange-peeled where a brush won't.
It may just be personal taste, and sometimes you don't have the option to use a roller easily, but I like the finish from a roller better. I tried to paint a door with a brush, because I didn't want to clean the roller and I already had the brush out for detail work. The visible brush lines were too much and I had to redo with a roller.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It may just be personal taste, and sometimes you don't have the option to use a roller easily, but I like the finish from a roller better. I tried to paint a door with a brush, because I didn't want to clean the roller and I already had the brush out for detail work. The visible brush lines were too much and I had to redo with a roller.
A door is a different beast- and the OP wasn't painting doors.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A door is a different beast- and the OP wasn't painting doors.
I still don't like the brush lines on my trim and baseboard. I couldn't paint them with a roller because they are rounded, which is why I had the brush out.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,364,238 times
Quote:
I still don't like the brush lines on my trim and baseboard. I couldn't paint them with a roller because they are rounded, which is why I had the brush out.
Either get a better brush, or use more paint on the brush. If that fails, get better quality paint (however it woudl have to be pretty crummy paint for the paint to be the cause). You should not get lines when it is dried.

You should also check and make certain you are using the correct brush for the type of paint.

You should not be getting orange peel with a roller either unless you are spreading the paint too thin, or using a crummy or wrong roller. Usually that is caused by spreading the paint too thin. Most people do that (spread paint too thin with a roller). Dip swipe up then down (or reverse) then dip, do not try to spread the paint all over the place. Just basically lay it on the surface. Some painters only make one pass (up or down) and then dip again.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM

4,614 posts, read 12,216,133 times
Door casing goes on first. Do not prepaint the door casing. Prepaint the base, so there's no worry about a cut line at the floor. Spend the proper amount of time puttying the nail hole, and casing joints. A short cut here will drive you crazy.
I personally would spray the door casing, and brush the base. If the ambient temperature is too high any paint will leave brush and or roller marks. Paint needs to be applied as thick (as much as possible just before it runs (this is why a thicker bodied paint is better) ) and cool as possible to allow it to flow out (level).

Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Either get a better brush, or use more paint on the brush. If that fails, get better quality paint (however it woudl have to be pretty crummy paint for the paint to be the cause). You should not get lines when it is dried.

You should also check and make certain you are using the correct brush for the type of paint.

You should not be getting orange peel with a roller either unless you are spreading the paint too thin, or using a crummy or wrong roller. Usually that is caused by spreading the paint too thin. Most people do that (spread paint too thin with a roller). Dip swipe up then down (or reverse) then dip, do not try to spread the paint all over the place. Just basically lay it on the surface. Some painters only make one pass (up or down) and then dip again.
I'm hardly an expert, but I can easily paint with a roller without getting the orange-peel effect and I can't do a brush without some difficulty. Also, in my experience, spreading paint too thick causes way more problems than spreading it too thin.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,308,148 times
Quote:
As others have suggested it's the brush.

The cheap Chinese $2 brushes will leave strokes.

Spend the money on a US made. Purdy & Wooster make good ones, available at home improvement stores.

Been there done that got the T-shirt.

This is my favorite:

Wooster Shortcut 2 in. Nylon/Polyester Angle Sash Brush-B3217-2 at The Home Depot

Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 AM

563 posts, read 1,778,920 times
Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House