Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:25 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times

Advertisements

Hi Again,
I just updated the front driveway light with a really nice LED setup that is perfect for the front. However in the back, I have two small halogen floodlights that are mounted up under the gutters just above two windows. One works...barely, the other is out of commission. Aside from that they are small and do not really provide good enough light for the power they use.

I've tossed around ideas and have come to the following conclusions;

Sodium - I hate the orange glow
Flourescent - not sure if it will be bright enough for what I want
Halogen - too many shadows
Metal Halide - cost/looks

I really want to be able to light up my backyard, it runs a good 100' to the wood line and is very wide with the deck and pool and grass areas. I am in love with the way MH looks and lights up an area but now I come to my dilemma. The only one I see at the big box store (we have GC's), is in a bronze colored housing for about $90. I'm sure they will be bright enough but I really wanted white casings since my house is white.

So what's your thoughts. Should I suck it up and get the dark colored lamps or just stick with some white halogens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,397 times
You can paint the dark ones if you wish. Krylon has a 2x line which seems to actually be 2x! Please let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
You can paint the dark ones if you wish. Krylon has a 2x line which seems to actually 2x!
My concern is with the heat of the light, melting/chipping paint.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
QIS

In that case you can use white engine paint: good stuff, the lights will never get as hot as an engine block.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
In that case you can use white engine paint: good stuff, the lights will never get as hot as an engine block.
So you think MH is the way to go for the lighting?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Electrician's supply stores (where electricians shop) have tons of different fixtures which can be ordered.

Also be aware that some lights may take 30 seconds or longer to become bright when first turned on. And fluorescent lights will be dim in cold weather at first.

So if you want to flip on the backyard lights so you can then see your way to take out the garbage or go to the shed, you might do better with old fashioned incandescent floodlights or LED lights. But if they will automatically come on and stay on all night, then does not matter.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM
QIS

YES I do because you love the way they could light up the spaces you have them intended for,plus, I like them too (I'm guessing you are considering nothing more than 200 watts)..... plus, plus, I think they would look cool in white!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM

and the results...I am actually pleased with how it came out. I used the existing plates, and despite the picture I did actually paint them over with a flat white rustoleum to clean them up. The old ones were tiny with sensors, the new ones are much larger and I used the 500W halogen that came with them for maximum light output. I am quite pleased and although it's not the metal halide I wanted, it cost half as much and no painting required. Someday I'll switch over but for now these look great!

Old

New

Just finished grilling BBQ Chicken, yum.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
That last picture freaks me out. I hate flood lights. Why do you want to do that to your house?

You're just blinding anyone looking in the direction of your house and creating dark shadows everywhere.

If you want to light up your yard for after-dark use, consider installing some lamp posts along with some low level solar lights.

There are a million ways to attractively light up your backyard. Flood lights are for warehouses and truck terminals.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That last picture freaks me out. I hate flood lights. Why do you want to do that to your house?

You're just blinding anyone looking in the direction of your house and creating dark shadows everywhere.

If you want to light up your yard for after-dark use, consider installing some lamp posts along with some low level solar lights.

There are a million ways to attractively light up your backyard. Flood lights are for warehouses and truck terminals.
Except my house backs up to woods and I can't see my neighbors on either side, there were already floodlights there to begin with, and this is just for when we need the light in the back (large gatherings, security, etc.)

Not everyone has hundreds to spend on running low volt wiring, adding posts, etc. But if you must know, this is purely as stated above for security and if we have large gatherings or something. The low volt is coming in the next year or so once I get the lawn up to par and a landscape design in place to tackle. I already rocked the pool surround so one thing at a time. Besides who wants to spend the $ to run two 500W floodlamps all the time out back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House