Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, there is no law prohibiting anybody from entering your garage if the door is wide open. There all kinds or reasons why a person may step into your garage if the door is wide open. For example, your neighbor may see the door wide open, and not knowing that you are home may decide to close the door for you. In this case there is a tort that you can use in court (to suit your neighbor), but do you really want to press charges against your neighbor if his intent was to close your garage door for you? In fact, dogs, and even kids may step right into your home if you leave the front door wide open. If a kid steps into your garage and kills or injures himself, you still have to get lawyers involved.

Haven't you heard cases where drunk neighbors open unlocked front doors by mistake and go to sleep on the home owner's sofa? Now, that would clearly be a case of trespass, specially if you called the police on your neighbor.
Please see post # 138.

The law is the law. Whether I would actually take my neighbor to court or not is another issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Go ahead, it's just grass. I let/have kids from all over the neighborhood use my lawn as a shortcut to get to the school every single day. Every Teacher that lives within walking distance to the school in town crosses my lawn as well. During the winter I even snowblow a path for them. There is a difference as well between using the very end of a paved driveway and the length or breadth of a grass lawn. neither of which is worth getting your knickers in knots over.

Oil leaks? Seriously? Just how bad f a leak would a car have to have to leave a spot or line on my driveway with a quick turn around? If it is bad enough to do that, they have bigger issues than leaving a spot on a chunk of pavement I couldn't care less about. Muddy tires? Again, totally ridiculous. If you live on a dirt road a car or truck may have some mud on their tires, if you live in town or on a paved road, there is going to be very little if any at all. Plus tha last time I checked mud is just wet dirt and will either hose right off, or be washed off with the next rain. Either way, no big deal.

Good God people, it is a driveway, not your living room. If you can get into and out of your driveway any time you want to and not have to ask people to move their vehicles then it isn't worth 16 pages and 150+ posts to debate what an evil it is.
Oil leaks would stain a concrete driveway. If you plan to ever sell your house, you want the grounds looking nice, don't you? It's a shame when you take care of it, make sure your car is in good shape, power wash the driveway from time to time, only to find some shlub who does not maintain his car has stained your driveway.

Oil on asphalt will actually eat down into the driveway and eventually cause cracks and holes.

It is usually people who do little to upkeep their own property who think nothing of infringing on someone else's.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:23 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oil leaks would stain a concrete driveway.
Yes, if the car was actually leaking (how many really do?), and if it was parked there for a while.
A quick five second in-and-out by the average car stains nothing.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
The Original Poster said that a lot of people back in and out in a single day because of where the person in question lives. He/she lives around a school and people do it often.

Can you read?

Should they move and perhaps lose money on the house or make the kids go to a new school? For a bunch of idiots who keep driving in their lot? WTF

Now that is stupid.

Noone is lost...they know they shouldn't do it, but they still do.

Again can you read?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
Finally, someone else sees that so few actually read the OP post and instead start changing the issue to suit their comments.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I can read just fine ... Doesn't answer the quesion of why this is such a problem, as another poster has the same thing happen and it isn't a problem for them.

It most areas, the driveway apron is CITY right-of-way anyway. So placing anything there to block or damage a person's car will get you in trouble.
Seems you really can't read. No one is talking about the apron. No one was talking about someone who is lost and needs to turn around.

Just because it isn't a problem for you doesn't mean it isn't a problem for someone else.

Go back and read the OP's post. Then maybe offer something constructive.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Seems you really can't read. No one is talking about the apron. No one was talking about someone who is lost and needs to turn around.

Just because it isn't a problem for you doesn't mean it isn't a problem for someone else.

Go back and read the OP's post. Then maybe offer something constructive.
'some other strangers pull the whole car in to the driveway like it's their house then back out'

Seems THAT is exactly what is happening.

I DID offer something constructive... DO NOT get so bent out of shape regarding a non-issue.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, if the car was actually leaking (how many really do?), and if it was parked there for a while.
A quick five second in-and-out by the average car stains nothing.
The quick in and out really can leave oil drippings and if done daily they do do damage to property. Yeah, some cars do leak. I would venture to say that those who take care of their cars are more careful to respect the property of others, too.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
It most areas, the driveway apron is CITY right-of-way anyway. So placing anything there to block or damage a person's car will get you in trouble.
Nobody is going to call the cops if someone puts something at the end of the driveway to block turnarounds.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I would venture to say that those who take care of their cars are more careful to respect the property of others, too.
Cars that drip, using other people's driveways, and facial piercings. They all go together. Kids these days.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Was worse for me, I had "visitors" of the drug dealers next door PARKING in my driveway, for hours. I'd come home from work and would find vehicles parked in my driveway. The house next door was fully fenced so no way in.

I left notes on the cars, got into a pissing match with one "lady", and the cops came by a few times and moved people to jail cells so in a few months it improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House