Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
She said some women in the area when they drop their kids for school bus everyday...
Why are people dropping off kids at a school bus stop at all?

But if that's the issue then talk to the schools about a different spot for the stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Is is legally if she puts the orange cones or some obstacles, chains, yellow stripes ... to block the driveway?
She can legally put cones, obstacles, chains, yellow stripes and signs, but it will look super tacky. Since she spent a lot of money on the driveway, it would be silly to do something so tacky. If she cares that much about it, she should just park her car at the end of the driveway. That's the cheapest solution. If she doesn't want to park her car at the end of the driveway and doesn't want to look tacky, she can install a wrought iron gate. Make sure it's remote control so she doesn't have to get out of the car to open the gate.

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
If the driveway is not too long, as someone suggested, parking the car at the end is the best solution.
"Some women in the area" = neighbors.... I think its the least offensive way to tell them that they are not allowed to do this anymore.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
There is a house near a farm in my town that has this huge horseshoe driveway. I accidentally missed the turn for the farm as it comes right after a blind corner. So I pulled in the driveway and as I made my way around I noticed huge barrels with flowers and stuff in them blocking the exit. Thankfully my car is thin and I made it between them on the edge. Basically gave the finger to the homeowner.
Why would you use the full horseshoe driveway? Why didn't you simply pull in and back out? I love that they screwed the people who went all the way around. I hope they put even more barrels with flowers so smaller cars have to back all the way around because they need practice backing up or they wouldn't have gone all the way around.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's trespassing. If the school system won't move the bus stop, she can keep people out with any legal means she chooses.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
My sister house is at the corner of the intersection, therefore there's a lot of people make u-turn on her driveway.

She said some women in the area when they drop their kids for school bus everyday, they always back their car on her driveway, some other strangers pull the whole car in to the driveway like it's their house then back out.

What will you do when you're in this situation?
Contact the school telling them of the trouble you’re having and that you want the school bus stop moved to a different location. It’s unsafe for anyone driving their kids to the bus stop and “backing†in or out of your driveway. It’s NOT for public use. Moving the bus stop will help reduce the problem is clear up a possible safety issue on or near your property. Kids are gathering around the area waiting for the bus and it's not a good place for cars to back up.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
My sister house is at the corner of the intersection, therefore there's a lot of people make u-turn on her driveway.

She said some women in the area when they drop their kids for school bus everyday, they always back their car on her driveway, some other strangers pull the whole car in to the driveway like it's their house then back out.

What will you do when you're in this situation?

A little girl was hit by a truck turning around in her driveway last week in Greenwood Indiana. She was waiting for the school bus in her own driveway and suffered critical injuries.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
There is a house near a farm in my town that has this huge horseshoe driveway. I accidentally missed the turn for the farm as it comes right after a blind corner. So I pulled in the driveway and as I made my way around I noticed huge barrels with flowers and stuff in them blocking the exit. Thankfully my car is thin and I made it between them on the edge. Basically gave the finger to the homeowner. If your that concerned about people using your driveway so often, then either remove that part of the driveway or put up some kind of full blockage. A gate, chain, etc. However just know that when you need to get out, you have to stop the car, remove said barrier, pull out, park car in the road and put the barrier back. Have fun doing this in the rain, snow, storms, etc. Unless you go pricey and get an automated gate.

I know of a home where the family dog was hit while he was standing in his own horseshoe driveway, wearing an electric fence collar. Someone had driven through the horseshoe driveway to turn around. They didn't even stop but left the dog lying with two broken hips in the driveway.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
They pull into her driveway because they're lazy and don't want to go through all the maneuvers to do a legal K-turn or go further down the road and do a legal four corner U-turn. You can purchase a small sign similar to:

Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

or

or

should work
Be glad they don't do this...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NwMWtamvW3...veway+sign.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House