Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:45 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,971,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
+1

although I can't rep you again
read post #210 !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 01:56 PM

1,850 posts, read 815,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(a) nearly everyone's driveway leads to a PUBLIC street or highway

City streets have set back rules also

(b) the boulders were placed there to prevent snowmobiles from crossing " his " driveway

(c) if one believes a county sheriff can not give citations, one should first make the effort to get educated about right of way laws/setbacks

(d) try to block a sidewalk and see what happens !
(e) Location of gate is NOT the choice of the home owner alone
get educated about setback
a) Interesting how you now say street or highway when before it was a highway.

b) Nobody cares why they were put there, you can't place debris into ditches, which is irrelevant to your beliefs about driveways.

c) First of all, you didn't say the guy gave a citation, so again you're just changing your (fake) story to accommodate whatever point you want to make at the time. Second of all, whether he gives a citation does not affect what I said.

d) Try to U-turn into a gate and see what happens.

e) Yeah, it is.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:19 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,677,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
And how many people use only the first 12 feet of a driveway to turn around in anyway?

I have always thought it was rude to turn around in someone's driveway, especially after dark when your headlights flash into their windows.
I always used less than 12 feet because in drivers ed class I learned about making a K turn.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:07 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,971,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
a) Interesting how you now say street or highway when before it was a highway.

b) Nobody cares why they were put there, you can't place debris into ditches, which is irrelevant to your beliefs about driveways.

c) First of all, you didn't say the guy gave a citation, so again you're just changing your (fake) story to accommodate whatever point you want to make at the time. Second of all, whether he gives a citation does not affect what I said.

d) Try to U-turn into a gate and see what happens.

e) Yeah, it is.

(e) no it isn't

Old 11-24-2016, 12:09 AM

22,619 posts, read 24,456,098 times
Fence or spike-strips.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:17 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,817,913 times
Our drive way isnt long enough so they use the grass across the street.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:39 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,477,795 times
We have had people turn around in our drive and I have turned around in other drives. There are places around here where if you miss a turn it might be 2 or 3 miles before you come to another road to turn on to (and then another 2 or 3 miles to get back). If you go around the "section", it could be an additional 8-10 miles to get back on track. Many of the roads are also too narrow to safely make a 3-point turn around without risking dropping off into the roadside ditch. I don't have a problem if it is a quick in and back out in our drive. After all, it was constructed for vehicular traffic.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,131,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
She just spent $4000 for her driveway last month, that's why she concerns about this issue.

She doesn't want to be selfish or rude, but some people are ignorant, they don't care about someone's property.

Is is legally if she puts the orange cones or some obstacles, chains, yellow stripes ... to block the driveway?
I don't blame her, someone with a leaky transmission could stain it up quickly. Your sister should park her car near the street at the end of her driveway.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,742,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I have a driveway and no sidewalk and I don't own the land `about 12 feet from the street to where my property starts. No one does, that's why some people with front yard fences have them set back 12 feet from the roads edge.
I don't know about you, but we owned the land all the way to the street. However there is a county required easement that we had to give to the county that allows them to build sidewalks, run utilities, etc without getting permission from us. I think it was about 8-10' wide.

We lived near an apartment building and people would pull into the the first few feet of our driveway to drop off or pick up friends. Similar to the U-turn problem, if it is done sparingly it is no big deal but when it is done often, people being people will stop and have a cell phone chat or whatever, while blocking my driveway. Some would actually leave their car and run in the apartment. It gets annoying dealing with rude people. I don't blame the OP. It is part of the reason we moved.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,710,266 times
It does not have to be a gate. A 8" board, painted white with a sign in the middle of it. can do the job as well as a gate. And something like this link to control the bar is very effective.

Buy a Mighty Mule 260 Gate Opener From MightyMuleStore.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House