Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just get an automatic gate. They're controlled like garage door openers and they're just not that expensive in context to the cost of getting the driveway redone. It will look better and will eliminate the problem. Shoot, they even sell them at Walmart online. E-Z Gate Gate Kit, El Camino 12' - Walmart.com
Actually by the time you would include the instillation costs, it would be about the same amount of money that she just spent to pave the entire driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 02:20 AM

176 posts, read 520,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually if the front door is open, it does.
Absolutely NOT CORRECT. An open door is not the same as permission to enter.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 AM

176 posts, read 520,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The interesting predicament is that you are more liable if you start posting signs because that's proof you knew there was a risk of someone getting hurt on your property.
So just make sure the sign does not say "Do not turn around here because it is risky", and instead have the sign say "Do not turn around here because it pi$$e$ me off!". No liability there.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
You could do a low cost solution now that I think about it. Get those retractable spikes and put up a sign. You can have them face either way and they are remote controlled so they stay down when you go over them.

I can't post a pic but here is a link, if it was bothering me that much I'd install this with a sign.

TireSharkâ„¢ TRAFFIC SPIKES for road (surface mount). Access Control Systems / Traffic Control / Tire Spikes (Parking Lot).

Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
Absolutely NOT CORRECT. An open door is not the same as permission to enter.
I think he might be right. By law, entering a building through an already open door or window without using any force is not breaking, nor trespassing. Someone who illegally enters the home or land of another person, as long as there is some means established to prevent entrance, is committing a trespass.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The circular driveway is on private property and in effect, you were trespassing on their property. Based upon what you've written about the barrels of flowers blocking the one end, it would appear that you weren't the first person to mistakenly miss the farm.

We had a circular driveway that we closed off because people were using it to turn around as opposed to making a 3-point turn in the street. I had young children who could have been seriously hurt by the rate of speed these chuckleheads drove around on the driveway. Not only that, but it is a gravel driveway and they were spewing gravel and creating ruts. Several times a year one of us was out there raking out the driveway.

As for the OP, I understand her chagrin. You pay good money for a driveway only to have to worry about thoughtless oafs using it for turning and whether their cars are going to leak oil on it.
I've got the same problem. A circular driveway that inconsiderate a$$holes seem to think exists for their turning-around convenience. I've had the ruts and the spewing gravel and almost had my cats run over while basking in their own yard. I keep it blocked off most of the time.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually if the front door is open, it does. Thats how people get busted, when they have open parties in their homes. The cops show up, walk right through the front door, and start arresting people for underage drinking, illegal drug use, etc. Perfectly legal for them to do it. If you don't want people on your property, then keep your doors and gates locked.
Apparently not.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
No. Implied consent is limited to accomplishing the purpose for which consent would be given. So if I have a doorbell, obviously the only way for a stranger to ring it would be to enter my private property. THAT is implied consent.

Implied consent enables permission to be given based on custom or usage. If a driveway is not typically used as a public road, to backtrack or turnaround, then consent is not implied.

There are attractive, unobtrusive "Private Property" yard signs that the sister can put at the end of her driveway. That way no one can imply consent.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,598 times
After done the driveway, I don't think my sis affords the gate next

I'll tell here all your opinions here so she can talk with her husband and make their own decision

Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
After done the driveway, I don't think my sis affords the gate next

I'll tell here all your opinions here so she can talk with her husband and make their own decision

Good luck!

Unfortunately, some of the suggestions will be an annoyance. I would hate to get out and move orange cones every time I went somewhere, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House