Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Good orientation: Lots of windows on the south side (assuming Northern Hemisphere); fewer windows on east and west side.
I completely disagree with this as a standard for the ENTIRE northern hemisphere This depends on the region where the house is located. In many areas, weather moves west to east so it's important to have windows on the west and east side of the house for optimum air flow when windows are open. (Areas that have different weather patterns need to adjust accordingly.) South and west facing windows are not ideal in climates that have hot humid summers and sun that shines from the south and the west. There can be many windows but it's important to ensure there is enough yard to the south and west for planting shade trees to shade the south and west facing windows.

Since the OP's new house is in Florida, the sun rises and sets there differently. I found this website that explains the best window orientation for a Florida home and how to best shade the windows that get the most sun.

Window Orientation and Shading

If I lived in Florida, I'd want the most windows facing north, some windows facing south, and the fewest windows facing east and west. Where I live now, the most windows facing east and north are best. Since window placement is super important, the sun path and weather patterns for each region need to be taken into consideration. There is no rule of thumb for the entire northern hemisphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Love (3968 Vrain Street, Berkeley, Denver, CO 80212-2251 USA)
zero windows on the south side as we live in a dupex
open floor plan
modern look
5-panel window wall
pre-wired and speakered
open stairway

Hate
toilets - I wanted Geberit wall-hung, but it was too late in the build process
refrigerator - I wanted another Sub-Zero, but again, too late
kitchen shelves are not pull out - we are saving money for that improvement

Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I completely disagree with this as a standard for the ENTIRE northern hemisphere This depends on the region where the house is located. In many areas, weather moves west to east so it's important to have windows on the west and east side of the house for optimum air flow when windows are open. (Areas that have different weather patterns need to adjust accordingly.) South and west facing windows are not ideal in climates that have hot humid summers and sun that shines from the south and the west. There can be many windows but it's important to ensure there is enough yard to the south and west for planting shade trees to shade the south and west facing windows.

Since the OP's new house is in Florida, the sun rises and sets there differently. I found this website that explains the best window orientation for a Florida home and how to best shade the windows that get the most sun.

Window Orientation and Shading
I viewed that website and it supports what I wrote. In the summer, hardly any sun comes in from the south. The sun rises in the north east and sets in the northwest at the summer solstice. This supports my point of having not a lot of windows (and yes, a lot of trees) on the east and west sides of the house. And, the web page and its graphics support lots of windows on the south side so you get the winter sun.

Windows on the east side and west side to take advantage of "weather moves west to east" is practically irrelevant. There are still going to be windows on the east and west sides of the house - we just don't want to have huge 8 X 10 foot windows letting all that morning and evening sun in in the summer.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
I viewed that website and it supports what I wrote. In the summer, hardly any sun comes in from the south. The sun rises in the north east and sets in the northwest at the summer solstice. This supports my point of having not a lot of windows (and yes, a lot of trees) on the east and west sides of the house. And, the web page and its graphics support lots of windows on the south side so you get the winter sun.
No. The diagram pictures show less windows to the south and more windows to the north. Avoiding the summer sun is more important than needing the winter sun in Florida. The house heats up too much in the summer with south facing windows. The north is where you want most of your windows in Florida. I agree that the fewest windows should be the east and west in Florida, but I completely disagree about the southern windows.

Quote:
Windows on the east side and west side to take advantage of "weather moves west to east" is practically irrelevant.
Where I live, that's not true. We want as much air flow as possible to keep the heat down. TREES are important for providing shade to those windows to cool the breeze prior to coming into the house.

Alternately, if someone lives on the coast, they would want the most windows facing the direction of the coast to catch the breeze regardless of which direction that faced.

Quote:
There are still going to be windows on the east and west sides of the house - we just don't want to have huge 8 X 10 foot windows letting all that morning and evening sun in in the summer.
There are many houses that don't have enough windows on the east and west to make that possible. My previous house only has one useless east facing window located in the second floor hallway.

I took most issue with your blanket northern hemisphere comment. There is no standard window orientation for the entire hemisphere. People who live in areas with harsh winters and mild summers need something completely different. They need many windows to the south and west to keep their houses warm in the winter.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I love everything about my house except the fact that it isn't nestled between some million dollar Victorian mansions. It could use a fireplace too.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM

87 posts, read 190,583 times
Going to echo the sentiments of Ceece. Floorplan x Infinity. I have sunken living rooms and man cave. They were cool the first 6 months and initially was the main reason I purchased. 3 years later I friggin hate them. I knew from the get go I did not like multi-story houses but I never thought in my wildest dreams how irritating those 2 small steps would ever be. I can't imagine what's going to happen as I get older. I will probably be one of those people in the infomercial that has fallen and can't get up.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
Love my ginormous pantry. I don't need to store party platters, slow cookers, etc in the basement. LOVE our screened in porch right off the kitchen. Hate that the builder installed cabinets with glass above the stove. The glass gets grease from the stove, etc and it's a huge pain to keep clean. Really hate that my dining room has windows on one end and a wall on the other. The floor plan would have worked much better to switch the formal living room with the dining room so we could extend our dining table for large parties. I swore I wouldn't buy a house with a catwalk/open 2nd story, but that's what builders in my area build. You can hear everything and it makes for very small bedrooms.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
wisescorpiogirl -- We are just a little farther down that road than you are. We are building in Orlando. We have chosen the plan and the lot in the development. They should start building beginning of next month.

The main thing is to print out a floor plan you think you'd like, then mentally walk yourself through your average day. How far is it from, say, the garage to the nearest bathroom? Is the laundry room easy to reach with a full basket on your hip? Is your guest bedroom directly above your own...or someplace where you won't hear your guests' bedsprings creak? What are you really going to use that 'bonus' room for?

In my current house, we could use one more bedroom/office space. It would have been nice to have a bigger backyard, but we back to federal land so we couldn't. Steps off the 2nd floor back deck would have made it more useable.

Pros: We've got an elevator! We are two minutes walk to the beach. Our property is very quiet and private. No HOA, but no amenities either. Great neighbors.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Things I dislike about my new built (not custom) home are no bathroom windows. Smallish master bath. No private toilet room. Small garage space. They were not surprises. They were compromises.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Love:

The yard
The neighborhood
The high ceilings

Hate:

The sq footage...I went too small in retirement
The one car garage

and

here is the biggie....
No Closet Space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House