Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times

Advertisements

I have one and I don't think I am really at all impressed.

Just wondering what others experiences have been.

Saves no water because I end up washing every load on bulky to get the clothes clean, and even then sometimes I finding myself having to rewash items.

I didn't research this purchase prior and it seems people are really divided on if in their opinin the machinces work well or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Overall, Consumer Reports rates front loaders higher than top loaders.
What brand/model number do you have?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I have a Maytag top load HE. Have not tracked water use since I have 3 boys and run washer constantly.

I switched to liquid detergent for HE washers, and it cleans clothes fine. Every single friend of mine who has a front-loader hates it and is ready to switch back to top- load

I do have to run a load with just bleach water weekly to get rid of the mildew smell. That's one design flaw they really should fix.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM

389 posts, read 1,219,091 times
We had one, a GE, at our previous house and liked it fine and it seemed to do the job. It does require a detergent marked "HE", however.

The reason we didn't get a side loader was at the recommendation of a neighbor who hated hers and with the top loaders there aren't the moisture and other associated problems with the side loaders.

At the current time we have the "old fashioned" kind, Whirlpool, and it does a good job but is not " high efficiency" and it is noisier than I would like.

I think probably the next washer we will get would be a top loading HE washer based on our own experiences. I would have to consult the rating agencies and consumer's reviews before buying however.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
We have one with Agitator and it washes clothes fine and saves a lot of water from looking at water bill. We use liquid HE also. No odor with our top loader; of course we leave the top open after washing like our old machine as recommended.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Overall, Consumer Reports rates front loaders higher than top loaders.
What brand/model number do you have?
Maytag Brovos X

Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
I had an LG top-loading HE washer.

I hated it.

Most loads were washed at least twice.

When we moved I left it behind.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default CR Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Maytag Brovos X
Bravos X - 75
Maytag Maxima XL MHW8000AW (front loader) - rated #1 with a 93
CR rates 60 front loaders better than 75

Front loaders clean better and use less water. They also remove more water during the spin cycle meaning less dryer time. The mold problem is easily solved -- leave the door open when not in use and run the special clean cycle every 3 months. And, never, ever use fabric softener in the washing machine as it contains animal fats.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
has anyone else here used a top loading HE washer???

Well, I suppose that if I were to use a top-loading high-explosive washer, dirty clothes would be the least of my problems afterward.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM

211 posts, read 409,480 times
I had a Maytag Bravos purchased in 05-07 timeframe- I did like the fact it had no Agitator as I was able to fit a bit more items in it, and larger items, and some of the various settings were also a nice feature, and clothes did come out less wet.

That said, the longer I had it the more I grew to dislike it, even though it was set up and leveled correctly it would go off balance more frequently than the old fashioned type washers. I found for some reason towards the end it started ripping clothing, never could find anything sharp that would have caused that. The death note to it was the plastic outer tub cracked, it was thus junked in January of this year.

Replaced it with a Speed Queen, old fashioned type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House