Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Best invention !!! These are amazing. You can get them cheaper at Home Depot, etc. As the parent of a teenage girl with long, long curly hair....LOVE THEM!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
Hey Coalman...ahh I see. the photo is limited,but, I think the trap is still there, just not in the picture....if the hose fitting were a replacement, we should see a lateral somewhere on the wall...maybe we can get some additional pix and then we'll find out?
Whatever it is; it needs to be addressed! I hope the OP avails themselves of your observation and has it checked.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I found this nifty little gizmo at Lowe's the other day for $2.99 -- a bendy metal rod with a plunger at one end and a retractable hook at the other. You depress the plunger and the hook opens up from the body of the rod, stick it down the drain until you feel resistance, let up on the plunger and pull the rod out of the drain. Wish I could find a picture of it.

Hair and goo! Everywhere! Or, in the case of the laundry sink, lint and goo.

A coat hanger works, too.

And to keep the drain from clogging, use this monthly: wash one cup of salt down the drain with one cup of vinegar. Let stand during the time it takes to heat a kettle of water (not boiling). Pour the hot water down the drain. This will clear minor clogs, and help prevent future ones.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Once you get the drain cleared.......
Instead of putting home spun chemistry set solutions down the drain, just fill up the sink, let a little run down the overflow hole (most sinks have them, but some do not). Then hit the drain and let the head pressure of the full sink push the gunk down the drain. If you do this regularly, you will not get the build up that causes clogs.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Instead of putting home spun chemistry set solutions down the drain, just fill up the sink, let a little run down the overflow hole (most sinks have them, but some do not). Then hit the drain and let the head pressure of the full sink push the gunk down the drain. If you do this regularly, you will not get the build up that causes clogs.
I do that but add some boiling hot water to hot water in the sink.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I apologize about not taking the pic of everything...here is the trap taken with my camera sideway...had to take the pic w/o flash using flashlight instead since it was too bright and washed out the pic...also took a pic underneath the slip ring...... So i'm not quite sure now if i should detach the trap again after putting teflon on it...there seems to be only one water drop that hangs at the bottom of the slip ring(4 holes) everytime the sink is being turned on. It just hangs in one of the four holes from the slip ring . I have been monitoring it since last night with usage half a dozen times already...making progress, but still not quite there yet.The sink has been fine now and no clog after cleaning out the trap.

View underneath the slip nut of the short end of trap

Last edited by JL; 08-27-2013 at 09:28 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post

I do this too, and use a plunger while doing this, sometimes pieces of black gunk comne back up.
but if i fell the sink about 13 times and then let drain, it gets a bit better.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
I keep this stuff around. It comes wrapped in a thick plastic bag and has lye in it. It is the only thing that I found that works when you have a clogged drain. Pour it in, let it sit, run hot water down the drain, no more problems. Short of snaking, cleaning a trap, or calling a plumber it's the best thing to use. HD sells it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House