Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times

Advertisements

Must be firm and have at least a pillow top. I haven't had to purchase one in years! (I moved around a couple of times since college). So...Im actually buying my first new mattress (possibly a new bed). Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:48 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
If you like firm you should try out a Tempur Pedic. I just bought one & I will get rid of my husband before I let anything happen to that mattress. I can actually lay on my back for the first time in close to 20 years. I poked around & found a wholesaler who will sell to the public & I paid $395 for a queen.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
If you like firm you should try out a Tempur Pedic. I just bought one & I will get rid of my husband before I let anything happen to that mattress. I can actually lay on my back for the first time in close to 20 years. I poked around & found a wholesaler who will sell to the public & I paid $395 for a queen.
Is this the 'memory foam' type of mattress? I actually bought a memory foam mattress pad and it was VERY comfy. I just wondered how firm would it be in the form of a mattress...Oh the stress of mattress shopping! I feel strange
'trying' out the mattress in-store because you never really get a true sense of how comfortable it is.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I spent quite a bit on a Sterns & Foster with a European pillow top (I have no idea what makes it "European" !), and I'm less that thrilled with it.

For one, it is very deep/tall, and I have an antique bed, so the fit is funny. It makes my bed so tall, I practically need a step to get into bed.....I guess I should have measured the fit first (you live, you learn ).

The mattress itself stays firm, but the pillowtop part mushes in and soon became not so comfortable - I wish I could rip the pillow-top part off.

So, my advice would be to really think whether you want a pillowtop or not, they don't stay fluffy forever.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Is this the 'memory foam' type of mattress? I actually bought a memory foam mattress pad and it was VERY comfy. I just wondered how firm would it be in the form of a mattress...Oh the stress of mattress shopping! I feel strange
'trying' out the mattress in-store because you never really get a true sense of how comfortable it is.
Yes, it is the memory foam. It was designed for NASA. It comes in a couple of different densities. I got the most dense one they make.

I sleep on my stomach, so that is how I plop on a bed at the store. I knew the minute I laid on this one that it was for me.

I agree with riveree, the pillow top is pretty miserable after you sleep on it for more than a month.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I started a mattress thread but I will join this one.
There is a lot of hype and buzz out there in the mattress industry.
So far, everything I've read says skip the pillowtop.
Apparently the new big thing is latex. At least, the latex people would like us to think so. Latex with airholes supposedly is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
I did try out a latex mattress that had a bit of memoryfoam in it.
It felt great.

We've had a tempurpedic knock-off, a very dense one, for several years.
One complaint I did have with our tempurpedic was last summer when it felt hot to me. Right now, I am sleeping like a baby with our cool nights and open windows.

This site is helpful:
Pros and cons
Also, that site says that NASA never did really develop memoryfoam; a Swedish company came up with it..

Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Simmons...its the only way to go

Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 57,414 times
I agree - Simmons is my favorite. We have the Simmons BeautyRest Bianca. It is firm, but still soft and comfortable. By far, the best mattress I've ever had. Pillowtops are too soft, IMO.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
We bought a Sealy Eurotop. I absolutely love it! Very comfortable!!

The only down side is it is sometimes difficult to buy fitted sheets for. You have to get sheets the fit at least 18 inches. While you can find them, they're not always cheap and may be limited on fashion.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,000 times
Spring Air makes a nice mattress as well. Skip the pillow top and buy a memory-foam mattress pad instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House