Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,586 times

Advertisements

I am planning to replace my well pump and to make sure I get the correct sized pump, I need to find out how much water that a 3/4 inch bib faucet flow. I use the pump to send water to my garden hose. The well is shallow about 25 feet deep and is 50 feet from the house. I need the pump to send water around the perimeter of the house to one of 5 faucets to water plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Flow is a function of pipe size and pressure. At about 50 PSI pressure, about 23 GPM for 3/4". At lower pressure, say under 30 psi, about 12-15 GPM, and at really high pressure over 100 psi 40 GPM. With a well it will be affected by whether it pumps directly or into a tank, and whether there is any elevation change between the pump and hose bibs.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I am planning to replace my well pump and to make sure I get the correct sized pump, I need to find out how much water that a 3/4 inch bib faucet flow. I use the pump to send water to my garden hose. The well is shallow about 25 feet deep and is 50 feet from the house. I need the pump to send water around the perimeter of the house to one of 5 faucets to water plants.
A 1/2 HP will do it but if you want more pressure 3/4 HP. You don't want to oversize your pump because it will short cycle and eventually burn up the pump. Really, 1/2 HP would be best given the specs you provided. Remember when you replace the pump, you have to prime it by filling the suction line and pump casing with water. It make take several attempts but eventually it will prime and start pumping water.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
feh. Well pumps for irrigation in Florida are typically 1.5 hp. Had one. Neighbors had theirs. Never saw any variation.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,586 times
Yes both are correct. I have a sprinkler pump 1.5 hp and a second " water line" pump. That pump was 3/4 hp from Harbor Freight and it shorted out in a month after I had run a water line with one inch PVC around the house and added 5 faucets. Darn. I was working on suction(air) leaks when the pump failed. Honestly I do not know if it failed because of the air/cavitation or because my neighbor was fiddling with the pressure switch settings and not checking the pressure tank settings. I moved here from New Orleans were a well is unheard of so I had to rely on his experience and in the process have learned a lot in the process and getting internet help. I even contacted Flotec and they recommended a 1/2 hp motor and a 15 gallon pressure tank. I am leaning toward their piggy back model that looks like the HF pump because I have limited space. I just read about the shaving cream trick to check for suction leaks and will use that during the install of whatever pump I can figure out with the help of the forum.
Regards,
Sid

Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Lesson - with Harbor Freight pumps ALWAYS get the two year add-on guarantee. They make cheap pumps. They fail. Replace it under the guarantee and pay only the cost of the new guarantee. Rinse, lather, repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House