Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This is what we usually call "mobile homes," right? And my understanding is that "double-wide" is just that -- double the width of a "regular"-sized mobile home (which is typically very narrow). Has nothing to do with a mobile home being "2 sections and single story" AFAIK since I believe ALL "regular" mobile homes are 1 story?

But the OP still hasn't clarified what an RTM house IS, since he says it's NOT the same as a modular home?
Yes to your first question.

I think that K'ledgeBldr explained that RTM = manufactured home in the US. Usually "manufactured home" and "mobile home" are used interchangeably in the US, although in some areas a "mobile" home will only be a single-wide. Of course, whether single or double wide, no modern mobile/manufactured home is particularly mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Yes to your first question.

I think that K'ledgeBldr explained that RTM = manufactured home in the US. Usually "manufactured home" and "mobile home" are used interchangeably in the US, although in some areas a "mobile" home will only be a single-wide. Of course, whether single or double wide, no modern mobile/manufactured home is particularly mobile.
All 3 are different.

A mobile home comes in to a trailer park, and never sits atop a permanent foundation.

A modular comes in pieces that come together, and may or may not be placed on a permanent foundation. Most people who use these as homes put them on a foundation, but schools may not, so they can be moved as needed.

RTM comes as a complete home, and is brought to the site and rests on a foundation.

Each are really very different, and are valued much differently as well. The RTM works well in cold country, because the home can be built inside, and when the weather warms it can be brought to the site complete.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Modular homes are more like site-built homes, but are built on platforms in factories rather than on foundations. They are are lifted by cranes onto flatbeds for transport and then onto foundations at the home-site. Modulars are often 2 sections but many are more as "mods" are often two stories, either with modules stacked one atop another or with steep roof pitches to allow rooms on the second floor (frequently "chalet" style). Frequently, furnaces and hot water tanks are not installed in modulars because they are housed in basements, although if there's not to be a basement, then these would have to be positioned on the main floor.

Although advertised as being cheaper than site-built homes, that really doesn't seem the case for smaller homes (1500 sq ft or less), at least in western New York State. I've investigated them, and they seem pricier with more limitations for small homes. A big reason for that is because of the transport and crane costs.

Manufactured homes are significantly cheaper than modulars. They are generally only 2 sections and single story, hence the nickname "doublewide". They generally have a lower roof pitch and lower sidewalls than modulars. If you saw a mod and a doublewide of the same size on the dealer's lot, the mod would definitely look bigger. Manufactured homes are built on steel platforms to which are added wheels and a hitch for transport. They do not need to be set on a foundation, and are frequently rolled on to the site, piers are built under them, and then the hitches detached. Furnaces and hot water tanks come with all manufactured homes. Most do not come with integral basement stairs, although most floor plans offer those as alternatives.

Okay.... I think everyone knows all that. But I did not see RTM defined anywhere in that post, which is what I was asking.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
How's this?

http://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/taxation/bulletins/053.pdf

Looks to me like it includes "official" definitions.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 AM

252 posts, read 580,824 times
Modular homes are manufactured in a factory and then placed on the foundation. If ur modular home is of 2 story then 2 blocks are manufactured differently.
Whereas RTM homes are built on the foundation itself.
But it seems nobody didn't really answer my question for the crack. Do i really need to worry about the crack?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
Modular homes are manufactured in a factory and then placed on the foundation. If ur modular home is of 2 story then 2 blocks are manufactured differently.
Whereas RTM homes are built on the foundation itself.
But it seems nobody didn't really answer my question for the crack. Do i really need to worry about the crack?
It would help if we knew more about the crack. Pictures would really help. Close-up, area shot showing location, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House