Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need to clean the soap scum in my shower. It's on the walls of the shower and on the glass. What is the best product to buy for soap scum? I hate cleaning. I would love to know if there is product out there that you just spray and let sit, then rinse off and it really works without having to scrub? What's your favorite product for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,892 times
A little off topic....my housecleaner told me that Dove soap leaves less soap scum than other brands.....just a tip:-)

Also, she just uses Fabuloso, Scrubbing Bubbles and a good scrubbing pad:-)

Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
I have the same problem and have just been putting it off. Have tried the shower sprays and does not work, they only work to prevent the buildup after the scum is removed. So am going to try a strong white vinegar solution with dish soap and do the scrubbing to get it off. (Soap is alkaline, so needs acid to get it off, supposedly.) Then will use my shower spray daily to prevent buildup!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Adding borax to the vinegar can help. For serious build up I have good luck with CLR. I put it in a spray bottle, then let it sit for a while. It usually rinses clean with little more effort. It even removes the rust stains. Beware the fumes tho.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
i use scrubbing bubbles. it does a great job except I can never get the bubble workers to actually DO the work. I always have to wipe down everything.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,633 times
I use "shower power" works great, then after I've cleared all the soap scum on the walls and glass I wipe it with DW40 that keeps the scum away for months amazing stuff.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Smile Simple Green

I love Simple Green Lime Scale Remover. *Do a Google search for more info.*
It's a great product to remove build up in bath tubs/sinks/faucets.

It's actually the only cleaning product I use with great results.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:57 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
Liquid soaps leave less soap scum.

We just had glass shower doors installed and I applied RainX to them. Says to reapply every 3 months.

I also use majic erasers. Those suckers take off everything around the house...love em!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM

100 posts, read 425,768 times
I use TILEX SOUP AND SCUM Just spray and wait 5 mins works great

Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

I need to clean the soap scum in my shower. It's on the walls of the shower and on the glass. What is the best product to buy for soap scum? I hate cleaning. I would love to know if there is product out there that you just spray and let sit, then rinse off and it really works without having to scrub? What's your favorite product for this?
Depends on what your showers made of. Tile is a lot more forgiving. Fiberglass scratches big time.so go easy on the scrubbies. I like Zep and kaboom products. Mr Cleans are good but test first.

You need to stop using bar soap and switch to liquid immediately. If you stop using bar soap you wont have scum. Also once you get it clean use some kind of oil your shower glass and on your metal tracks. Makes it shine and nothing sicks

Another thing you can do once you get it clean is after you shower take a dry towel and wipe your shower down. Makes for extra washing but Id rather wash towels than clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House