Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 05:29 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times

Advertisements

I bought 1964 house in a very blue collar neighborhood. I have pulled out the carpet, tack strips and staples. I don't mind how the floor looks except for 5 or 6 boards near the front door that have some old termite damage. The floor has some light scratches, old poly that is flaking off and of course the little holes from nails holding down the tack strips/staples. Again, this doesn't bother me because you can't really see it unless you get on the floor and I don't care about having a perfect looking floor in a house this old. There are also some very small gaps between some of the boards.

I'm wondering if I can:

1. fill in the spots from termite damage and gaps between boards with wood putty (mostly near the front door which will be covered with a mat anyway)
2. sand wood putty flat
3. rent a floor polisher to screen all the old poly off the floor/rough the wood up a little
4. apply 3 coats of oil based poly

Does this sound like something worth doing? I do have someone that will refinish the floors for $1.40/sq ft, but considering I don't mind how the floors currently look and 75% of them will be covered by rugs it doesn't seem like money well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I have done steps 3 and 4 with great success on a 1920's bungalow. Used a buffer pad made of steel wool, vacuumed up the debris, used a tack cloth for the remaining, then 3 coats of poly applied with a lambs wool applicator. Looked wonderful. The advantage is that compared to sanding, the buffer pad removes very little of the wood fiber.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
3. rent a floor polisher to screen all the old poly off the floor/rough the wood up a little
4. apply 3 coats of oil based poly

Does this sound like something worth doing?
Don't put more poly down.
Oil and/or wax.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Wood putty can be really hard to sand down, so be careful with how much you put on.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I have done steps 3 and 4 with great success on a 1920's bungalow. Used a buffer pad made of steel wool, vacuumed up the debris, used a tack cloth for the remaining, then 3 coats of poly applied with a lambs wool applicator. Looked wonderful. The advantage is that compared to sanding, the buffer pad removes very little of the wood fiber.
Yes, that is one of the things I was thinking about...I sorta want to preserve the floor. Right now, I just want it structurally sound and showing a little wear consistant with age.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't put more poly down.
Oil and/or wax.
I'm no expert but from what I've read, oiling is more maintenance right? Will oil protect the floor? Also, if I later on decide to use poly, will the oil prevent me from ever getting it to stick?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM

My plan was to fill in the bad spots with putty and sand them a little with sandpaper to make it flush. You would still easily see it, but at least there wouldn't be a hole. Then use a floor polisher to screen the floor and ten apply the poly (1 coat as you say).

Does this sound like a diy project? I know you mentioned sanding too much but isn't that difficult to do given the screens aren't that abrasive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House