Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
These guys are nothing if not entertaining. Some of the things they do on the building front make you cringe, but never having done any of this before, you can't expect much. Eventually they get it sorted out. (Have they never heard of books?)

One has to admire their chutzpah (they must have deep pockets to begin with) and they don't seem to be daunted by challenges. Their documentation is wonderful, and watching them undertake each challenge is quite interesting/entertaining.

Just don't think i would ever want to own one of their 'projects'. Yikes.
I have no knowledge in this area, but can you give examples of poor technique/ things that make you cringe? That would be educational to us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
These guys are nothing if not entertaining. Some of the things they do on the building front make you cringe, but never having done any of this before, you can't expect much. Eventually they get it sorted out. (Have they never heard of books?)

One has to admire their chutzpah (they must have deep pockets to begin with) and they don't seem to be daunted by challenges. Their documentation is wonderful, and watching them undertake each challenge is quite interesting/entertaining.

Just don't think i would ever want to own one of their 'projects'. Yikes.
See I like that they show the failed with the finished they wouldn't have to show us the failed parts. It is not up to me to question how deep anybody's pockets are when they are doing what makes them happy with their own money.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I have no knowledge in this area, but can you give examples of poor technique/ things that make you cringe? That would be educational to us all.

I recall, for example, when the put the driveway up the hill in TN they didn't allow for drainage other than a few measly pipes under the road, which quickly filled with silt. IIRC they then tried to go with the 'berm across the drive approach', and then finally did it correctly with a stone and gutter system. At one point they hired the local farmer to grade the driveway, or some such silliness. You just knew it wasn't going to have any sort of engineering substance.

When they built the flat topped roof thing, they never vulcanized the roof...indeed, did they go with shingles? In any event, the water could not run off such a low pitch and sat there, permeated the roofing materials, and started to rot the underlayment. IIRC they pulled it all off and started anew. Didn't the whole place 'sweat' because half of it was built into the ground, but there was no air circulation/venting to account for cool on one side, and blazing hot on the other?

Didn't they do something with solar/wind/voltaics? Undersized, and had to rip it all out. At first, they were not even going to have external service, but then they wired something up through an old barn.

The stove? Pulled that out. Molding....didn't they have to remove that? It's been a while, and others will recall many of the foibles.

BUT, they're happy, and if this is what they spend their money on, good for them. It seems to me that engaging someone, or doing some research on how things should be done properly, would save them a LOT of time and money. They redo things over and over, and you just cringe when they put stuff together because you know it is wrong/inadequate and will fail. But they enjoy it, lots of people ohh and ahhh, and who am I to say that this isn't what makes them happy.

I would seriously doubt that they make much if any money on their projects, but I don't think that is what they are into.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
IBUT, they're happy, and if this is what they spend their money on, good for them. It seems to me that engaging someone, or doing some research on how things should be done properly, would save them a LOT of time and money. They redo things over and over, and you just cringe when they put stuff together because you know it is wrong/inadequate and will fail. But they enjoy it, lots of people ohh and ahhh, and who am I to say that this isn't what makes them happy.

I would seriously doubt that they make much if any money on their projects, but I don't think that is what they are into.
I thought that is what we all do in life we try new things, figure out what is best to do by trial & error so I am not seeing the 'cringing' factor. Am I a contractor? No. I'm just somebody reading a story of 2 people that are doing & sharing with us what they are doing in life.

Wouldn't you think if they did not do things up to code their houses wouldn't pass inspections? It is highly doubtful FL would keep giving them building permits if they weren't doing things correctly. I've also read how they are friends with the folks that buy their flipped houses now. If my builder shafted me or cut corners to save money then I had to spend more money having it redone I don't think I'd be friends with them would you?

Appreciation goes along way I appreciate them sharing what & how they do things and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts & opinions with us. BTW are you a contractor do you have anything you could show us your work? That would be awesome if you do I really like seeing building happening as my dad was a contractor but died at a young age so I didn't get to learn from him.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Well that was interesting. Actually that house really doesn't look all that bad, aside from the water damage, its really just sorely in need of an update. Typical of many many homes in Florida, where retirees moved in, lived frugally, then passed away leaving the house still decorated as it was when they moved in.

Sometimes the house then becomes a rental with tenants that trash it, or heirs live out of state and ignore it as it slowly wastes away.

Scarily, they are a different color, but we have those bathroom cabinets in both bathrooms, oh to have more money. Also still have a harvest gold toilet. The new kohler is still sitting in the garage until we can afford to redo the rest of the bathroom, the new shower stall just cost us about $1000.

The foliage is honestly, just about 3 months of overgrowth. Drop a sandwich on the ground in Florida and it will grow.

The house has good bones, I'm sure it will look great when done. I'd love to be able to do what they are doing.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM

The thing that worries me about his house is it seems to have more mold than any of the others they've flipped. I hope they are taking extra precautions in removing it even Niki should stay outside to do her supervising under a shade bush.

Boy doesn't specific color choices with toilet fixtures and appliances really date a house? I remember in the early 70s first trip to FL there were a lot of homes exterior paints turquoise blue or pink with several yards having those fake plastic flamingos in them. Glad that phase has passed it was ugly.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Some 5 years or so I went to spend a week at a friends "vacation" home in Palm Harbor FL. The place was clean but man oh man was it dated and in need of an overhaul. The whole neighborhood was similar. Small, stucco homes. Two bedrooms, one bath. Most in some state of disrepair. Parts of FL are full of these type homes. Even if he remodels his house, it would be like a $1,000 saddle on a $10 horse. My friend says there are some low rent type landlords that would buy his place for short money. He expects the area (maybe 25 square blocks) to soon become a low rent, trashy area.

The house Lisa and Mike are redoing has the value of being on the water and it appears roomy. I say it is well worth redoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House